Sign in to follow this  
oNEMOg

Strange IDE and SATA problems

Hello,

I've been having some strange problems with this board in terms of how it detects certain drives. I have 2 optical and 2 HDD on the PATA channels and 2 more HDD's on the SATA 1/2 channel, NOT in any RAID mode.

For the first week of having this board, everything seemed fine. The system would boot quickly and see all drives without a hitch. Recently, however, it seems to have trouble detecting both SATA drives. It always manages to see my boot SATA drive (fortunately), but it is rarely detecting the secondary one now.

Not only that, but sometimes it seems to hang on the initial screen while detecting the drives, only to continue booting 3-4 minutes later (no exaggeration, it's really slow!)

I've also had occasional hangups on the screen immediately following the first BIOS info screen (where it is looking for boot CD's, right before the Win XP screen) but that is a rarer occurence.

Overall, it's the inconsistency of the bootup process of this board that is really confusing and annoying me. Any ideas of what I can do? I have the latest BIOS, and like I said I'm not running any RAID, just 2 separate SATA drives.

Thanks in advance for any response!

oNEMOg

What sata ports are you currently using and how are they currently configured in the BIOS? Also do you have a usb keyboard and mouse? If so are usb kb and mouse options enabled or disabled in your BIOS? Try setting them to the other value if applicable.

This is a common issue I see quite often with many motherboards when using the onboard SATA RAID ROM... occasionally with the VIA chips, but naturally, no real experience with the ati :)

If you are using the onboard raid, use the onchip sata instead, or vice-versa. also try another SATA cable.

The hanging means it has seen a signal, but its failing in the initial handshake, so keeps waiting, and retrying, till it decides it fails, which can be quite some time.

it isn't necessarily a problem with the motherboard (normally is bios/flash) but could also be the controller on the hdd.. so I would start by trying these things.

- another sata cable

- different sata controller

if you get no joy, test the drive in another computer to see if its healthy, or next time it does boot,check the drive with SMART tool and see if its healthy, it could be the cause, but unlikely.

if you happen to have a hdd the controller hates, thats ur bad luck, and happens quite often, the resolution is a sata card, not the resolution anyone wants to hear.

sillicon and promise cards although cheap are quite reliable, if you choose to go that path.

although you said you have the latest bios, a new bios might be all you need, its just not available (yet?)