Which Card Should I Get ?

losmi8

Hey guys,

I am building my own PC, and I need a good video card,...I've looked at ASUS V9950 Ultra and ATI Radeon 9800 PRO, but they are too expensive. I am looking for a good card, but not so expensive... I will be getting water cooling for a video card, so what is the best card for OC. I am looking for something that's around $250...

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256? any good ?

Thanks!!

the 9600pro is really good the 9600 256meg is ok . you dont need the 256megs of ram thats just a marketing gimick you need a powerful gpu to even use that 256megs unles you liek a slideshow. i would look around for a 9700non pro you can find one for the price you quoted . bottom line if you want to play hl2 with decent fram rates get a ati cards as nvidias cards are really flawed. also the 9800non pro is a good buy and can be found for a lil under 300bucks

in dx8.1 and lower games the fx5900 is competive but the reason people bought the fx line of cards was to run the next gen dx9 games and nvidia did not folow microsofts standard for dx9 . all the game we are playing now are based on 5 year old game engines and with hl2 and d3 fixing to be out these will be the next few years of gaming engines to be used . so if you want to spend the money on a gffx card dont expect good performance on newer games. nvidia was rushed to get these cards on the shelves and it hurt them badly look at how they never let the 5800 cards on store shelve it was a bugged card and the 5900 is just a tweaked version of a buggy card. nvidia is really hurting its image and when the games do come out a people see its not just ati hype they will be very disapointed they spent money on a buggy half finished card

im not starting a ati vs nvidia thing . my wife has a msi 5900 128meg in her comp and im prety chapped that i bought it .pixelshader 2.0 is basically broken on the gffx cards and thats one of the most inportant specs for dx9. the dx9+ nvidia was talking about shouldve been dx9- not to mention the flickering that the 5900 had a driver fixed it. basically if you want to play future games and need a card now ati is the only way to go maybe nvidia will do something better with the nv40 than what they have done with the nv3xx series