Sign in to follow this  
MjrTom

New to DFI

Hello DFI Community.

This is my first post on this forum, and i must say that its one of the best forums ive come across and has been the main reason for looking at DFI products.

I am currently looking at upgrading my PC and would be very greatful if people could give me some feedback and help with my purchases. I would like to apologise in advance if my comments have already been covered in other therads but could not find a definitve answer.

This is what i had in mind:

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 Ultra-D, Skt939

Opteron 148 2.2Ghz Socket939

Also 2x 1gb memory modules. Which modules are best so that i can achieve a high FSB to utilise the OC limits of the opteron chips. I have heard that some modules are not compatible with the NF3 chipset.

Also which bios revision would i need for the Opteron chips as i believe the shipped bios is not compatable.

Thanks in advance for your help :D

You are looking at an NF4, not an NF3 chipset. The 6-23 BIOS works for me.

There is a NF3 one too for AGP just not in the us at the moment- at least not widly.

You cansell that AGP cardfor good money but if you dont......

AndyOCZ

RyderOCZ (OCZ)

memoryman (Buffalo Technologies)

CrucialLabs (Crucial/Ballistix)

contact any of those guys, tell them how much you have to spend, what board you plan to put it on, and if you expect to try and overclock it.

they will give you the part #'s of tested modules that work in the DFI board you have that you want to use them in.

then you make the decision as to which modules to buy and from where. dont just take one person's advice. contact all 3 companies as they all 3 have support reps on this forum and all 3 have excellent customer service and are here to help you not only decide what memory is best for you from their product lines, but also to help you get it running once you do purchase it.

Am i right to assume that the Kingston Hyper-X are not happy living on the DFI NF3 Ultra-D Board?

Do G Skill and Mushkin 1024mb Modules have any known incompatabilities?

Thanks

Most of the kinston memory does not play well with the DFI boards but if you are sure it is BH-5 it should. Look in the oc database and the nforce3 section to see what others have tried. You might also look into the 754 board is is a much more solid board than the NF3 Ultrad if you dont already have a chip or selling the video card for the NF4 ultra D amd a newer card.

I think i might take the plunge and remove the heatspreader (voiding waranty i know...) to make sure.

From what i have managed to piece together from the other threads the 754 Pin board looks like a stomper :)

Ive read the article about the NF3 939 boards and would like to use one of these with the 1 series Opteron chips if that is not going to pose any issues.

I would like to keep hold of my Gfx card if possible as it was a big investment last year and overclocks well. How much would be a reasonable price, should i take the plunge and sell it?

Im a pauper who is short of cash for a much needed upgrade.....

Any confirmed 1gb modules that are supported on this NF3 Ultra D board?

Thanks again

OK IF i was to look at NF4 boards which is the best one to currently go for?

The one i was looking at was the NF4 SLi-D Board.....

/me wishes he had not invested so much in an AGP card a year ago.....

Sign in to follow this