OC'in a new build

Jdogg

My question pertains to a new system build and where in this process should I start trying to OC? I've read a lot of the threads here but really haven't seen this answered. (sorry if it has been addressed already)

I'm going under the following assumptions -

-Assemble the PC & load XP, drivers, BIOS update (if necessary) and all necessary diagnostic apps

-I won't even worry about setting up RAID 0 until I have some sort of stability.

Do I need to go as far as loading SP2 before trying to OC? I would imagine that I wouldn't even mess with loading games and apps until I have some stability. What's a good starting point? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would update the BIOS to the 704-2BTA, install the OS, install all drivers (SP2 included), install some programs like OCCT, SuperPi, Prime95, other stability testing programs, run OCCT and Prime95 for a while to give an idea of the temps you have to work with, then start OCing.

I'd install SP2 first. Gets any issues out of the way. Then, after all your updates (and you have all the benchmark software/monitoring software) go for it.

On that CPU I'd start with just raising the FSB 10 at a time until you need more voltage to Prime. Then keep as you get higher move up in increments of just 5 Mhz. Eventually you'll find your max.

I would put it together.

Qualify the memory using the memtest embedded in the bios.

Create a WinXP install disk with SP2 slipstreamed into it.

Install WinXP, drivers, etc.

Update WinXP.

Download above mentioned benching and stressing programs.

Get it running rock stable at stock.

Read this and start having OC fun.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

Good luck.