VMWare Workstation

KaollaSu

I purchased the new version of VMWare Workstation 5.5.1 Build-19175. It supports 64bit Guest Operating Systems. Already installed XP x64, Fedora Core 4 64bit, and Ubuntu 64bit. All of them work fantasically!!! As an added bonus, it supports 2 virtual processors.

Going to try out Solaris later.

Actually I should make torrents for my Linux VMs and Open Solaris VM and post them.

There is a free VMPlayer that will run already prebuilt VMs. It would be great for those wanting to try out Linux or other open source OSes without worry of screwing up their computers and without having to spend any money.

Fell in love with VMWare the first time I used it. Nothing better for app testing than the ability to fall back to a known good system snapshot. VMWare.com has some third party pre-built VM's to download. The Player is free, and so are the VM's. Hard to beat that as an option for learning a new OS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

umm, i dont mean to barge in this thread. but looking through your post of success installation and setup of VMWARE makes me wonder if anyone can help me out with the problems im getting.. first i have the version 5.5.1 and installed it on my MSI and works great. but on my DFI i get a weird error prompting during installation of windows 2003 on VMWARE " Not enough Virtual memory or paging file quota is available to complete the specified operation. " anyone has an idea whats going on? my current paging file/Swapfile on my OS is at fullest so i dont know why im getting this error..

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm gonna barge in with another problem and seeing as you didn't get a reply maybe we can both get our problem solved :)

I have a DFI NF4 Ultra D and VMware 5 Workstation. I get a stupid error message saying there's a "power operation already in progress" whenever I try to power on a VM. I have no other VM's running and no other instance of this one. I never get to a stage where I can actually use the thing and install anything.

I've tried posting on VMware forums but got no resolution and only found one other person that even had this problem. I guess not everyone has a DFI board! Anyone had this problem before? Or better yet got a resolution?

G

DFI LanpartyUT nF4 Ultra-D

Athlon x2 3800+

stock speeds

2x512MB GeiL

PCIx 7600gt 256MB

onboard audio

250 GB Maxtor HDD

LG DVD-RW