Sign in to follow this  
DASQ

Weak CPU? Or am I doing something seriously wrong?

My CPU (E3 Venice, I don't know exact stepping) is kicking at 260mHz x 10 @ 1.568v, which is a relatively very high voltage for such a 'low' overclock. 270mHz requires ~1.7v, and even though I'm on watercooling I'm going to stay away from that.

My Ultra-D is stable up to about ~340Mhz, that was the highest I got on a quick-run on a 5x CPU multiplier, so I think I can safely rule that out.

I've tried dropping my RAM divider further, it's not the RAMS fault, I've also tried other kinds, I've raised and lowered LDT and HT voltage, I've tried 4x and 3x HT multiplier. My temps are about 41C under load and about 34C idle.

I've also tested with a 500w Enermax Liberty, absolutely no difference there.

Any ideas on how to improve on this OC? A good BIOS for my situation perhaps? Or did I just get a lemon of a CPU?

I guess you got yourself a bad chip man, I overclocked my girlfriends Venice to HTT270 and the voltage it's running stable now is 1.52V as opposed to the 1.4v stock.

Of course her mobo is an ABIT AN8 so this maybe the difference...

I'm in the same boat as you with one of my sandiegos.the only way i could get a decend oc was to go with a real high fsb and low multiplier 400x7.the ldt is set to auto and gave me a dead even 2000 on the hypertransport. the memory is on a 133 divder for 509ddr.it works but i have a lemon also.

Weak power supply...looks like it's rated at 18A on the 12v rail :(

Probably want to consult the recommended power supply list. You're almost guaranteed to get a better overclock than you are currently.

I've tried an Enermax Liberty, two 12 v rails w/ 22A each.

Made absolutely no difference, unfortunately.

But thanks for the replies so far guys.