Patriot PC4800 TCCD

So, I've had the Patriot modules for a few days, and I can't seem to get any extra MHz out of them. The issue I'm having is simply to run them at stock timings. The memory can do 300 MHz, but at 3-4-4-8. It can only POST with CAS 2.5 at ~280MHz. The memory is clearly advertised to run at 2.5-4-4-8 @ 300 MHz and 2-2-2-5 at 200MHz (which it is capable of hitting), however, under CPU-Z I get 2 different timing tables. Each module, under CPU-Z, can do 2.5-5-5-10 at 277MHz, and 3-5-5-11 at 300MHz. Do you guys think there is something wrong with CPU-Z or do you think, the RAM is at fault. This could explain why I can't hit CAS 2.5 at 300 MHz however I just wanted a more professional opinion on this matter.

Thanks,

I have four sticks total of Patriot PC4800 TCCD and using a socket 939 processor some will hit 300htt at 2.5 and some won't. It has more to do with the memory controller in your cpu then it does the ram.

In other words if I use my opty 146 CABYE 0540 FPMW I can hit 325htt at 2.5 without a problem but if I use one of my opty 175's with the same memory it won't even boot into windows at 300htt with the ram set 1:1. I suggest to try the ram with another processor before you blame the ram.

Hi, Ive got OCZ Elite Platinium PC4800 TCCD that where promisied would hit 300MHX and the hightest I get is 290, but I guess thats cloce enough. I did SiSoft with 2-2-2-5 timmings and got the highest level I forget the score.

My Adata DDR566 was rated at 285-3-4-4-8, If I want no error in Memtest / Prime95 I either run it 250-3-4-4-8 or 200-2-2-2-5.

There is a few bits of memory at 925.8M which keep f***ing up. Its always there in Memtest Test6 and occur at any speed between DDR520 and DDR620, regardless of timing being 2.5-4-4-7 to 3-5-5-10 and regardless of voltage 2.75V to 2.95V.

I also tried DDR440 2-3-3-6 and it still show up. I guess its just bad luck... The previous sweet spot on my Asus was 500-3-4-4-8 which had no error in Prime95, couldn't get memtest to run due to me being floppy/cdrom free on that rig)

The kit doesn't past memtest nor prime95 at speed >DDR520, I'm currently stress testing them (just moved back from Asus to DFI) with WinRAR over network and see if it throws up any CRC error. So far there is no error at all, so I guess if I don't touch that faulty bit of memory it won't do any harm...

Now if I can find something to locate and lock that memory range...

I agree with you in that it could be the memory controller. I read somewhere that Winchester cores are at a 60% chance to have a "bad" memory controller. What is weird however, is the timings table in CPU-Z. Those advertised by the company, don't match the ones on CPU-z, and Patriot has a link to CPU-z on their website suggesting its use. So I guess, what I'm trying to get at is, is it possible that the memory chips on the modules are rated to handle DDR600 (they do in fact) however, not at such "tight timings"?

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!!!

Do you think I should increase the voltage? I understand this would give better stability, but I'm not sure if it is the memory that is at fault, rather than my memory controller. How else can you tell if the memory controller is good or not? Does CPU overclockability depend on this? As far as the voltage goes, I definitely will not go higher than 3 V. The newer TCCD's like higher voltages, but I'm not sure how high they can go.

Thanks

Dhimiter