4000 UCCC RAM settings on Expert board

timmorris

I'm using Corsair 2Gb TWINX 4000 PT in the Orange slots of an Expert board. It is populated with 128 Mbit UCCC chips. Can someone give me a pointer as to which advanced RAM settings I should be using to start off with? I'm currently running memtest at 1T 3-4-4-8 265MHz, but can't get it to clock any faster (voltage 2.85 - going up to 2.9 doesn't help at all). The best CPU clock I can get (X2 4400) is 2.7GHz so I'm really hoping to get the ram up to 270MHz so I can run at 10x270.

I've read through the guide, but I'm struggling as to which parameter to tweak first and in which direction.

Tim

I'm using Corsair 2Gb TWINX 4000 PT in the Orange slots of an Expert board. It is populated with 128 Mbit UCCC chips. Can someone give me a pointer as to which advanced RAM settings I should be using to start off with? I'm currently running memtest at 1T 3-4-4-8 265MHz, but can't get it to clock any faster (voltage 2.85 - going up to 2.9 doesn't help at all). The best CPU clock I can get (X2 4400) is 2.7GHz so I'm really hoping to get the ram up to 270MHz so I can run at 10x270.

I've read through the guide, but I'm struggling as to which parameter to tweak first and in which direction.

Tim

I am using the same ram as yours and I have no problem running at 280mhz (all set to auto and at 2.80V)

Are you running at 1T? (Command per Clock set to enabled) and at 3-4-4-8? Are you using the Orange slots?

There does seem to be a lot of inconsistency between different sticks (with handpicked sticks being sent to review sites). I'll try finding the weakest stick and then putting it in the slot closest to the CPU.

What is the relationship between UCCD and TCCD memory, does anyone know?

Tim

hey i too have the corsair TWINX2048-4000PT....im having trouble getting stability at 270 fsb...im new to overclocking and have been spending the past couple days trying to get it stable but i keep gettin 2-8 errors while running memtest....ive been looking for good bios settings for the UCCC chips but there arn't to many resources online and there definatley is alot of variety for the headroom of the sticks....ill be working all night tonight trying to get some things figured out. good luck to you guys.

There was a link and i need help too, but it showed you which of the mem settings would likely help make it stable if changed. It even said if certain test of memtest failed then you had to change xxxx settings... Be good if i bookmarked it.

What other bios settings have you guys used?

A bit off topic but the main reason I upgraded from my Athlon XP 3200 was for video editing - I've just taken delivery of a Canopus ADVC-55 Svideo -> firewire converter - the quality is fantastic!

I'll list my current RAM timings next time I reboot.

Tim

well i think my memory has more headroom but its at 270 right now and i want to see what i can do with my opteron 144....this is what i have right now but its not priming or exactly stable...weird thing is its reporting my cpu temp at 24 degrees celcius.....there is no way im running that cool so who knows....ill post more later if i can get any better results from the memory.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f383/mrkram/ss.gif

I'm running UCCC chips on OCZ Gold EL (see sig) at DDR533 (296FSB 09:10 = 266 RAM) at 2.6v, no problems whatsoever, Prime stable 20+ hours. Haven't wanted to push them any farther as this is the sweet spot for my CPU (besides mem bandwidth is useless on A64!). They still benchmark over 7100MB/sec on Sandra at this speed. They got very hot and did not like more voltage when I gave it to them!

Cheers and good luck!

Xak, could you share your complete BIOS RAM page settings with us please? Then at least we'll know that we've got RAM that just isn't capable of going any faster rather than simply having a couple of parameters that are set a little too tightly.

I've read Angry Games thread regarding RAM bandwidth and it makes complete sense to me. Once I've found the sweet spot I'm going to validate it myself by loosening everything up a notch to see if it makes a difference (I'm sure it won't), even though I've been building PCs since 87 (putting 16 port serial cards in 8086 based machines so they could run multi-user unix in the old days when you had to buy a licence for it, with horribly small and slow ESDI hard disk drives) I have no experience with Athlon 64 chipsets so I'm not going to argue!

Tim

I'd be happy to post my settings. However they are simply OCZ's recommended ones, listed at:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showpost....13&postcount=13

Any time there is a range, say 3-4, I am running the looser timing (4 in this case). Voltage is 2.6v, with +0.03v disabled.

You may see a thread "WMV Killed my hardware" about my 2 bad sets of RAM I had to go through before getting these to work, so I still haven't tweaked them as tight as they could probably go. DDR533, which is standard DDR2 speed, and allowing my CPU to be at the perfect sweet spot is enough for me =)

If anyone still wants my exact BIOS settings let me know, I will break the 10+ day uptime and check them :nod:

Cheers!