NF3250gb Squeeking on power down

• 1 month later...

i have exactly the same issue with my 7800 gs card. it is definitely NOT the coils. when i replaced the card with a 6800 gt, the squeak at shut down went away. i still don't know exactly what is causing the squeak at shut down.

A few weeks ago I put a 7800gs in my system , but did not have the squeak. However, the 7800gs was running very slow. Yesterday I did a fresh install of Windows XP with Forceware 84.25 drivers. The card now runs great. However, starting yesterday I now have the squeak, too.

Hi - I may be way off the mark but I had a vid card related squeel which happened when the monitor refresh rate in the display properties was set to low n Windows (and also when the setting was outside Windows control i.e. briefly during start up and shut-down). Just out of interest - do you still get the squeel with the monitor power switched off?

Sounds like a filter circuit is "ringing" on power down. It's not really a problem . Capacitors and inductors are tuned to filter undesired harmonics in circuits and when powered down the residual charge will "ring" between the cap and the coil until the internal resistance of the filter circuit dissipates the charge. It's quite normal and sometimes audible so I wouldn't be overly concerned with it.