Sign in to follow this  
GonzoDamon

ARGH!! Worrying again...

OK, this one is probably a real worry. I am running Prime95 right now on both cores (two versions). My temp probe that I fixed to the very bottom-most portion of the heatsink is reading 48 degress right now. When in BIOS, I had noticed many times before that the probe and the BIOS varied by 2 degress usually. The BIOS says 2 degress higher than the probe.

Do I need to worry or is this just the AS5 burning-in that I heard about? Please let me know if I need to reseat the heatsink or anything like that before enough time has passed to fry my system!!

I haven't installed any software monitoring programs yet. I wanted to start off with a clean system running Prime95 and then use this as a building block to push ahead.

CRAP!! My heart just sank sitting on my other computer when I heard my system shut off in the other room! The system crashed after running Prime95 for only a little over an hour!

How do I diagnose what is wrong? Is there any program that does live crash analysis? I know people that built a system on a DFI board and went on about their business. Maybe I should have done the same and not been so thorough. I doubt that I will ever get the usage at 100%, but Prime crashing before it had even run for 2 hours is unsettling.

What is the next step? Should I update my BIOS? Should I update my drivers? (Didn't do yet because I'm not at my house with access to cable modem).

OR, do I ingore this.....which would be hard anyway....

What os are you running? The reason I ask is I've been all kinds of Prime stable on XP at 2750MHz, but never been able to get prime stable on x64 at the same. It would always crash at about the 1 hr mark. Stable as hell in everything else exept Prime95. I was never sure if x64 just wouldn't clock as well, or if there was a bug in 64 bit prime.

Thats kinda my point. I could get stable at 2.6 in x64 as well, just not 2750 where I was prime stable in XP. What kind of problems are you having with raid in x64? I haven'y had any issues with either controller. It's 64 bit for me too, all the way. I read in an Anandtech review of my memory and cpu that it wouldn't clock as high in x64, and it's proven to be the case on mine.