Sign in to follow this  
AtaruMoroboshi

RAID Questions

I was just wondering a few things, I can RAID really quickly, but I need confirmation before I do anything.

1. Which RAID method is best to use? Stripping or Mirroring or other?

2. If I use RAID will all the files on my original HDD be deleted? Or am I missing something?

3. Does RAID really increase speed a good amount when loading?

Thanks for any help.

striping is for performance(speed)

mirroring is for data secutity (back-up)

if you have data on on of the hd,s that you plan on using for raid, yes you will lose that data,

you will definately see better load times with your hd's raided in raid0 (striped)

if you use the 2 hd's in your sig, and stripe them you will see your hd as 1 500mb hd

if you were to mirror them you would see i 250 mb hd

stripe(raid0) will write data across both drives

mirror (raid1) will write the same data to both drives

striping is for performance(speed)

mirroring is for data secutity (back-up)

if you have data on on of the hd,s that you plan on using for raid, yes you will lose that data,

you will definately see better load times with your hd's raided in raid0 (striped)

if you use the 2 hd's in your sig, and stripe them you will see your hd as 1 500mb hd

if you were to mirror them you would see i 250 mb hd

stripe(raid0) will write data across both drives

mirror (raid1) will write the same data to both drives

Oh no! I'll only see them as a 500mb HD?! That's horrible! :P j/k

Guess I'll be backing up some of my important data.

BTW: Thanks for the prompt reply!

Ah man, I just found out that my Floppy Disk drive is bad, so I can't use the drivers from the little RAID floppy disk. This sucks, is there any other way I can get the RAID up and running without having to go through the full install again?

Actualy floppys are still one of the most reliable things you can use if you use it correctly though the disks are going down in quality.

Try another floppy or two and if the light on the floppy stays on flip the cable upside down as it goes in both ways.

Bah, stupid, stupid me! I didn't have my Floppy Disk Drive plugged in when I installed my 520w Powerstream PSU...yeesh, I can now get RAID though, so I'm happy!

Edit: I'm also looking for any websites with help on RAID. The other thread that I made was deleted and that was the one I was using. Can anyone give me some good RAID websites?

Edit 2: RAID is all setup! Just need to get stuff into the cache and this thing'll book!