DFI drivers or not to DFI driver?

All right, I keep getting a different answer on this one...

Should I really install the drivers from the DFI disk? In the SLi-D guide, it said to install all of them besides the IDE, nVidia Firewall, & nForce manager. Is this still the case or did they fix the bugs in those by now? How about DirectX 9? Please let me know what is and what is not helpful/necessary on that disk.

I ask because some at the AMD forim actually told me to throw the disk away!

THANKS!

Hmm, I did that and didn't found anything diferent... either performance or stability, so I went back to use the CD drivers and again it was the same thing.

Word of advice: don't install the nVidia firewall, and also don't install the nVidia IDE drivers. Use the nVidia sound drivers too btw.

The drivers posted at DFI site should be the recomended ones, DFI Aproved.

Good luck

All right, I admit that I should've read more closely. There is a lot to read and get straight when you are building a system for the first time, especially if it's on a DFI board. I know that I read that post more than once, but I guess it didn't sink in.

Hmm, I just read over most of it again. I don't see where it says not to load nVidia Firewall or nForce manager. As a matter of fact, Angry specifically lists nForce as something you should download and puts a link to it. Maybe I'm slow, but are you suggesting to install nForce, just not off of the DFI disk? Maybe I didn't read far enough?...

As lots of people have had issues with the nVidia drivers, it is general good advice to not install the Ethernet drivers, Network Access Manager, Firewall and especially not the IDE drivers.

They work for many people, but at the same time many have reported issues across various forums all over the web. Go here for more info: www.nforcershq.com/forum and check the drivers section.

Personally, I tried all the drivers one by one, and kept running into issues until I installed the default MS drivers. They may not be as good, but at least I'm stable and am able to hook up to a network.

You should download the nforce drivers for your motherboard from the nvidia website and double click to install. You'll hit "yes" and "I agree" or some such a few times then be presented with a list of things you want to install. If you're not using the onboard sound then untick the sound drivers. If you're not gonna use the Nvidia ethernet ( the top LAN port on your motherboard I believe) then you can untick the ethernet drivers too (in which case you'll want to install the Marvell lan drivers from your motherboard drivers CD). Then keep hitting next until it asks you if you want to install the Nvidia SW IDE drivers. Here you can hit "no" if you don't want them to be install. In fact most people seem to reccomend that you don't install them. Personally, my computer doesn't seem to be stable if I don't install them so it's your choice. Also, hit "no" when it asks you if you want to install the nvidia firewall. The built in windows firewall seems to be good enough espescially if you're behind a router so I've never tried it. Although, unlike the IDE drivers that I've seen some people use with success, I don't think I've EVER seen anyone say to use the Nvidia Firewall. So you should probably stay away from that one. Once you're done installing reboot and enjoy.