Nvidia SW IDE driver discussion thread

Guest Dembones_merged

Guest Dembones

Hello all,

After searching the forums on the ide chipset driver i'm finding a mixed review of some saying its good and others stomping the hell out of it.

The thing is when I install it I get a "it's safe to remove hardware". Well that hardware is my Hard Drive. So of course I went back to the Windows version.

The only reason i'm bringing this up is due to the fact that the DFI user manual instructed that the sw ide driver is more superior to the windows version and should be installed.

Any information on this driver would be greatly appreciated.

I used the 8.22 version package and had some nasty problems.

Under heavy system load disk activity would hang my system, the hd led would be on for seconds without any actual disc activity and then my system would reboot.

I installed 6.85 (the latest official) and all problems are gone, I included th SW IDE drivers in both installs.

The real world disc performance is not really higher than with the default XP IDE drivers but the sysload with the SW IDE drivers is lower.

Hello all,

After searching the forums on the ide chipset driver i'm finding a mixed review of some saying its good and others stomping the hell out of it.

The thing is when I install it I get a "it's safe to remove hardware". Well that hardware is my Hard Drive. So of course I went back to the Windows version.

The only reason i'm bringing this up is due to the fact that the DFI user manual instructed that the sw ide driver is more superior to the windows version and should be installed.

Any information on this driver would be greatly appreciated.

Um you have a SATA card not DE f your sg s up to date so sont sweat t. I had no problems with the driver bt others have it is not needed for performance.

BTW after a wile the safe to remove con should auto hide tself agan after a wile the safe to remove property goes with all SATA drves.

I use the latest official drivers off of the NVidia website and have been for two years now. I have not had a single ide-related issues since the 5.xx series of drivers came out. The "safely remove hardware" icon in your systray is normal when the sw ide drivers are installed. The sw drivers are not just for raid, whoever stated that is way off. The sw drivers are for pata and sata ide devices, as well as raid devices. If you do not install the NVidia sw ide drivers and opt for the default microsoft ones, you actually will not have some of the functionality of sata hard drives, such as command queing support.

Shawn

I have also tried to determine which mode of thinking is better on this and it seems that opinions are the reigning champ...some use it and some dont. I don't use it any longer. I did when I had my NEO2 as this seemed to keep the system from hanging when I burnt cd's...but I haven't since I moved up to this DFI. I haven't looked in my event viewer and might have to do this tonight.

The IDE driver in the NF4w2k666E.zip file dated 11/23/05 on the DFI web site is BAD. It will cause hangs with high CPU utilization, but nothing going on. If you are not trying to run RAID, you don't need it. The Windows XP drivers will work just fine - with no CPU hangs.

I've tried both Windows and NVidia IDE 6.70. I don't use RAID.

NVidia give me more performance at reading speed with small files, so I'm using it with no other problem than the annoying "safe to remove..."

Since I first built up my LanParty Expert system, I have had an intermittent problem that was killing Windows XP. After booting into XP Pro, the system would run OK for between 15 minutes and 4 hours, but sooner or latter, one of my two X2 cores would start showing 100% CPU utilization in Task Monitor/Performance tab, while the Processes tab showed the System Idle Process taking 99% of the CPU, with no applications running. Once the system got into this high CPU mode, all sorts of flaky problems would happen with Windows – tasks took forever to load, running tasks could not be killed, system could not be shut down normally, some tasks would hang, etc.

The only way out was to re-boot by forcing a soft power off..

It turned out it was the NF4 IDE driver in the 11/23/05 download on the DFI site that was causing the problem (file NF4w2k666E.zip). With the IDE driver loaded, the problem will happen. When running the Windows XP IDE driver – all is well with the world.

If you are not running RAID, stay clear of the Nvidia IDE driver on the DFI web site, and use the IDE driver supplied by Microsoft.

On my new system I installed the complete nvidia nforce suite, then reading here i returned back to the point before the nforce (System restore), and installed again with the Storage option selected but later selected "no" on the popup..

it seems i finished with windows drivers as i see no remove icon, and in the "device manager" i don't see SATA related ide adapters, only windows one with normal ide UDMA6 (no dialogs to select which ata, or whether NCQ is enabled or not.

is it OK to stick with windows or better to go with the nvidia with options such as Read/write caching? or will that driver start causing corruption to data?