Did I really just ruin this?

I can't believe this. I think I may have made a huge mistake.

Everything was going fine. I had my system all set-up real nice. Things were going effortlessly, so surely something bad had to happen. It did.

Windows XP Pro SP2 loaded smoothly. Next, I put the DFI driver CD in and in auto-ran. I installed everything that it asked, excpet for the IDE drivers, Nvidia Firewall, and Nforce Network Acess Manager, just as I had been told by numerous people. As I was doing this, Windows alerted me that important system files were being replaced by unknown files and asked if this was OK. I said this was fine and the system rebooted. When it was rebooting it froze. I stepped away from the computer for 20 mins and came back and it was still frozen. Here is where I made the mistake. Like an idiot, not thinking, I pushed the reset button on the case. IDIOT! After it restarted nothing showed up on the screen and all four of the warning LEDs stayed lit on the motherboard. Trying something new, I turned the computer off again. While it was off, I switched the safe boot jumper over to 2&3 and tried restarting it again. Unfortunately, the same thing happened - nothing on the monitor and all four LEDs on motherboard lit.

What can I do now? Have I ruined the motherboard? I know that I made an idiot mistake, but please tell me that there is something that I can do to fix the situation!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Everyone's kind assistance had to me the right point, it was just my inexperience that screwed things up.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

as you said, it shows 4 lights, so its not going to 3 lights, possibly no cpu detected? :|

check all power cables

it is highly unlikely if not impossible to physically damage your motherboard by installing an incorrect piece of software. Slow down and stay calm. Was your case completely closed up while you were working on it? Obviously make sure you have not shorted anything electrically. Are you using the stock AMD heatsink? Make sure it is installed and seated flat and securely.

Start by removing every device except what is absolutely needed to operate the machine: keyboard, mouse, monitor, HD, cd-rom drive. Pull out the power connector and do a CMOS reset (small red jumper near the battery-- look for instructions in the manual). Make sure that the computer is unplugged when you do this otherwise it might not work. Leave this jumper for a full minute. Then put it back to the normal setting, reconnect your power cord and try again.

good luck post back and let us know how its going :angel:

Other people here probably know what to do better than I. However, from thinking that i "fried" my hardware several time since i got it 2 weeks ago, I would do this:

- Disconnect power (duh)

- Disconnect everything (even HD's) from the mobo except Video, and CPU.

- Put only one of your ram sticks in the orange slot closest to the edge.

- Clear the CMOS

- Try booting like that

Sometimes you have to clear the cmos a few times for it to boot again (residual power?). If you can get to the bios, follow the mem testing instructions here.

Good luck

Ok, I cleared the CMOS and turned the power back on to the PSU. However, one thing that I did notice was that the LED near the RAM is not on. I can't remember if it was before or not? Do I need to sort this out before I even try to turn it on again?

Thanks for the quickly reply guys.

OK, well, I realize that the RAM LED doesn't light up until you actually turn the system on, so that is not the problem. I went through these steps (http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24) to clear the BIOS, but I had the same problem in the end. Maybe, I didn't let it clear for long enough. I'm just going to let it set on Clear CMOS jumper 1&2 for longer (the battery is also out.)

Hope this at least lets me into the BIOS. If I get there, I fell confident that I can set everything straight.

thanks...