sli w/1gb ram vs 1 vid card w/2gb ram?

ICON57

what would be better to game with?

2 vid cards running sli with a gig of ram ,or 1 vid card with 2 gigs of ram?

more specific....in my sig, i am running 2 x 1024 of the HZ g.skill with my 7800gtx oc...

i have the option to sell my ram, put back in my g.skill pc4800 tccd (440's)

and run 2 x 7800gtx oc vid cards running sli

my main reason for getting the 2 gb of ram was for bf2

any thoughts or opinions?

TIA

2GB system RAM will make a game perform better (overall) than 2 vid cards + 1GB system RAM

2 vid cards running SLI might make you able to play higher res with all the eye candy super-maximized...but if your game is caching off the hdd (which it will do VERY MUCH the higher you put the resolution and the more AA/AF and other eye candy you maximize) then it won't matter if you can do 1980x1020x32-bit @ 8xAA/16xAF all details maxed ;)

Guest Dynamic

Not even if you have a 150GB Raptor with 16MB of cache? Probably not because it's faster to buffer games through memory in the first place. I might have to look into that soon my self, thanks for the tips.....

Note:BTW, Angry, i hope you're not mad about what i said in the other thread, hehe.

Not even if you have a 150GB Raptor with 16MB of cache? Probably not because it's faster to buffer games through memory in the first place. I might have to look into that soon my self, thanks for the tips.....

Note:BTW, Angry, i hope you're not mad about what i said in the other thread, hehe.

the hdd is the slowest piece of your machine

it is...I'm not sure of which adjective to use here, nor the exact amount, but its ZILLIONS of times slower than cpu/system RAM

ie cpu + system ram can communicate in NANOSECONDS, or BILLIONTHS of a second...while hdd's communicate in MILLISECONDS, or MILLIONTHS of a second...so that might not be such a huge thing to you, but then on top of that consider that cpu/memory on a typical Athlon64 system can roll about 2GB-3GB/s unbuffered data across that bus, while hdd's are lucky to burst at 100MB/s, and usually can only handle sustained transfers of about 50MB/s or less in a single drive, 100MB-200MB/s in the fastest RAIDs of consumer level hdd's and controllers.

Guest Dynamic

Yeah, i figured the processor communicates with the memory much faster since the hard drive has to go through the chipset then to whatever route it needs to travel and that costs travel time like crazy. Definitely go with 2GB of memory instead of going SLI with only 1GB, sounds like common sense to me since technology is just increasing the demand for more memory to store cache from games now and days. So you will no longer see stuttering and other memory related issues with COD2, F.E.A.R and many more games out to come this year for sure.

Note:hehhee, i can't just leave you alone man, i'll take it as a no, you are not mad? hehe

Same question, Would I be better getting another 6600GT or 1 more meg of ram. The price for my card is down to about $119 now. Also, do ya still need to add the exact same vid card for SLI or can you mix brands?

Same question, Would I be better getting another 6600GT or 1 more meg of ram. The price for my card is down to about $119 now. Also, do ya still need to add the exact same vid card for SLI or can you mix brands?

That's a toss-up in my book...I'd probably get the ram still...

I'd stick with the same brand, but theoretically they're supposed to work anyways now...