data corruption

I have been using the DFI Lanparty NF2 Ultra-B motherboard for a couple weeks now. It replaced a soyo kt400 that was dieing.

Anyway, I have been having problems with moving data to my external harddrive(s) via USB. The data get corrupted. I know the external drives are good as is their enclosures. It dosen't happen all the time but ocassionally a file that is roughly 50mb+ will corrupt (I can tell by the md5 hash values).

When I last backed up my drive, every file over 50mb corrupted.

I'm running the newest drivers and bios available on DFI's website and newest drivers on all my other hardware. Is there any unoffical bios/sata drivers that might help? Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh yea, I'm running the OS on 2x250 Segate drives on the SATA raid controller.

SATA drivers: 1.0.0.8

Board bios ver: 11/24/2004

SATA bios ver: 5.0.35

After reading around, I've also noticed that XP is setup with "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" instead of "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)". I would have to reinstall to change this so I'm avoiding it at the moment.

Yup the Acpi thing is a major issue with these mobo and yes i would think about addressing this and R&R afore doing much else.

SOme of the old users had issues with the SIl sites 1.0.0.8 drivers and so tmod here at the street modded them to work on our mobo's you can dl them here

http://www.biosmedic.com/files/SI3114r%201...d%20Drivers.zip

If that doesnt work then you could always try the 1.0.0.7 driver as many used that and had no problem with it for a long time, you should still be able to get on SIls site in the Archive section.

Also the Sata bios version is an older one your using and so the 5.052 version is out now and available in some of the newer bios including the one you are using.

Unfortunatley as you might be aware to get that to work it means flashing your bios, not to be taken lightly if your not used to it, a bios saviour or spare bios rom is advised for these mobos. Hope some of that helped ;)

Well it looks like I'll be reinstalling this weekend! I've got a couple questions though. First, how do you force XP to pick "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)" during setup, I read the thread but didn't quite pick up on how to do that. Second, where do I get a bios with the newer 5.0.52 bios embedded with 11/24/2004? DFI's site dosen't list the SI bios version as far as I can tell. I have no problem flashing my bios btw.

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: I found the Tmod cd so I'm good as far as bios flashing goes. Still unsure about the XP setup thing.

what I wanna know...

is why is it that everytime I push my OC too high, and it freezes in windows or I get BSOD in windows.... and I have to restart my computer, it has to do a disk check and finds of bunch of corrupted stuff it has to fix on the drive...

I though it was only my SATA, but it did it with my IDE too... this is really frustrating because it basically means if I want to push my OC to the limits I have to corrupt the hell out of my HD... which by this point has totally ruined my windows installation... it looks as thought I set it for 'performance' and it has NO visual asthetics... and I can't change it back....

the thing that worries me is I have alot of valuable information on there I don't want to loose, and I'm concerned if this keeps happening I'll loose valuable info...

any suggestions

Schnikies when loading Winblows and at the screen that says hit F6 to load yer SIl drivers also hit the F5 key, so if your loading Sil raid drivers as well then alternate hit the F5 and F6 keys quickly you will then be givin a choice of which Hal to pick, use the up and down arrow keys choose the Acpi one. Continue install as normal ie Sil drivers etc............

Darien...........;) Ususally when anyone pushes there OC too high they get a BSOD, what makes you special LOL i get them all time when pushing to the edge. BUt i do use a unattended install slipstreamed XP so that i dont get all that crap running your getting, thats winblows defaults thats what happens.

If you have a lot of valuable information and are running on the edge well that just dont sound too clever does it, back it up. Use ghost for fast reinstalls if you hose yer winblows installation alot......About all i can say man.........

Darien...........;) Ususally when anyone pushes there OC too high they get a BSOD, what makes you special LOL i get them all time when pushing to the edge. BUt i do use a unattended install slipstreamed XP so that i dont get all that crap running your getting, thats winblows defaults thats what happens.

If you have a lot of valuable information and are running on the edge well that just dont sound too clever does it, back it up. Use ghost for fast reinstalls if you hose yer winblows installation alot......About all i can say man.........

I don't mind BSOD and Winblows freezing... it's just whenever that happened with my Abit, it didn't corrupt my HD.... and as far as I know other boards don't currput the HD when you overclock too high...

so what does every other DFI NF2 overclocker do... use a test HD until his oc is stable? does this HD corruption happen to all DFI NF2 users? or just me?

lastly... would you be willing to share that slipstream winblow ISO with me? =)... I don't need the key I can put my own key in the serial key file...

thx for the help

LOl man you dont want much do you D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DONT HAVE AN ABUT now you have a DFI, not shouting just pointing out the obvious, you need to stop comparing your DFI to ABUT there 2 different Monsters, you have to unlearn most of what you knew about your Abut, and relearn your new DFi.

As far as every other OC'er and what they do when pushing the envelope, i have no idea what they do, i know that i do not get corruption like what you are getting but then again i dont run Sata Hdd's, i run Pata. I also make a ghost image of my C partition as soon as it is set up how i like, and then if i do hose my winblows partition it takes me 2 mins to get it back to where i was. I dont know if that is what others do, i know for a fact that i can give my installation some stick and i mean major hassle afore i even have to think about doing a reinstall or image, not like the way you are describing yours. Something else sounds unstable on yer system.

As for the Abut, i ran my NFarce7 Abut for over a year.....

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=2...hlight=loggan26

i remember the probs that folks had with there -S boards, sata corruption galore, they did get it sorted i think in future releases of bios, but the quick fix at the time if i remember was "EXT2-P2P's Discard Time" in BIOS set to 1ms. I'm just pointing out that the Abut's also had corruption on Sata Hdd's especially when shifting large files.

A quick search on Pcperspective gives this

http://forums.pcper.com/search.php?searchid=381434

As for the Dfi sistas and Sata corruption?????Compared to the links above i dont see that as being a prob on these mobo's a quick search reveals you and a few others with this prob, so saying that then i would say its not a generic prob on these mobo but more a user individual setup prob. I could be wrong though ;)

As for the Winblows i use no i dont think so but i can do you a seperate diff one, that will not lead to me if there are any come backs ;) leave it with me and i will get back to you, do you have msn or something i can get in touch?

Logan :)

When I did the f5/f6 toggle at windows setup, I got a msg that windows setup could not determine what type of PC I had and left me with the two following options.

Standard PC with c-step i486

Other

I tried other and it asked me a disk?

EDIT: I check the bios to make sure that ACPI was enabled; it was.

Yes that is the options Standard and C-Step i486 you have to use the up and down arrow keys to see the rest of the options LOL your not the first to make that mistake plenty of others have done the same, just remember and use the arrow keys up and down man up and down.