slipstreaming SP2 into XP

snugglealufacus

i read that post by AG about slipstreaming SP2 into an SP1 cd, and i found it very nice, except for one detail i cany figure out.

i checked this website out: http://www.angrygames.com/slipstream_sp2.htm and didnt see anything in there talking about the updates between SP1 and SP2. whenever i install XP onto my computer, i must go through 2 or 3 updates before the SP2 update becomes available to download. anyone know what to do with this? if it isnt very clearly written, ill try to rewrite it (just ask :) ). thanks for any help.

i read that post by AG about slipstreaming SP2 into an SP1 cd, and i found it very nice, except for one detail i cany figure out.

i checked this website out: http://www.angrygames.com/slipstream_sp2.htm and didnt see anything in there talking about the updates between SP1 and SP2. whenever i install XP onto my computer, i must go through 2 or 3 updates before the SP2 update becomes available to download. anyone know what to do with this? if it isnt very clearly written, ill try to rewrite it (just ask :) ). thanks for any help.

you slipstream SP1 into a regular XP install first, then immediately slipstream SP2 into that, and then you make a copy of it, burn it to disk, and blammo its done and you don't have to do anything else

you slipstream SP1 into a regular XP install first, then immediately slipstream SP2 into that, and then you make a copy of it, burn it to disk, and blammo its done and you don't have to do anything else

im not sure if i understand that. your saying to just download the XP SP1 cd onto mycomputer, then stright away put SP2 on there? and forget the updates?

Any updates from post Sp1 are IN sp2 Thats the reason for the service packs. They have all updates (and more) from the last Serivce pack to the date the Service pack was made.. When you install a sp2 PC now there are a lot more updates to download, or you can just use the latest Autopatcher XP... (Google it)

im not sure if i understand that. your saying to just download the XP SP1 cd onto mycomputer, then stright away put SP2 on there? and forget the updates?

you follow the directions on my webpage that you linked by first slipstreaming SP1 into a WindowsXP install disk

then immediately after you are done, before you burn that disk, you slipstream SP2 into what you just finished slipstreaming SP1.

Once you have done that, then you burn the disk and blammo you have WindowsXP SP2 slipstreamed

Wierd, conflicting posts...

You only need an original xp disk, does'nt need to be sp1 at all.

Then copy the files over to a new dir, from the cd.

Then slipstream to that folder by either the main executable cab or using update within the cab.

You don't need to slipstream sp1 before sp2 :.

Slipstreaming is all to easy, except for say win2k3 r2 sp1.

Still easy though but whatever I don't care to explain how.

For example:

I:DownloadsWindowsWindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe /o /n /integrate:I:xp

/o = overwrite oem files.

/n = don't backup anything.

/integrate = where to slipstream to.

Update works the same way.

New protection on update though but who cares, the exe cab thing is what you'de be using anyways.

YOU MUST USE A DISTRIBUTABLE PACKAGE!!!

Using anything else is not a good idea.

You also need to copy the bootsector from the original disk.

This is easy as well, just use a program called bbie ("baby").

Then burn liek normal with nero or somehting, with that bootsector thing of 4 and no emu, stuff liek that

Or make an image using mkisofs instead(because it's 10x better then nero at making images).

Then del the batches or what not you may have in the image from mkisofs using winimage :).

So far I know of 2 extra protections.

One where it does'nt allow slipping from update from a mina extracted exe cab thingy.

The other protection is for dns server on 2k, where you can only update to sp1 and that's the max it allows or something.

There's a work around for the 2nd one, I'm sure the other one will be figuered out as well sometime.

Win2k3 r2 slipping..

Forgot it for now.

Just copy the files from disk2 to disk1 ^^, use a new r2 style key and windows will know it's r2 form the get go.

It'll ask for disk2 after install, just insert the only cd you got for it, the new one, and it's good to go :).The only identical file is the autorun thingy.

nLite.

Decent prog.

I recently used it myself to patch out the theme, tcpip, and sfc files.

Along with re-packing the cabs, and changing the install type from xp style to win2k style :).

Very nice.

However it needs that god aweful .netfx(2.0) thing :.

Oh and to auto put in my key thingy, that was cool, without screwing up other parts of my install...(except for the modom area code thingy but who cares...).

Anyways if you need more help, for instance like a bootsector, give a holler and I'll upload one.

That and maybe a script and such for making the image that you burn, otherwise just use nero and your bootsector file...