New Bios Crashed my Rig

Greetings. This is my first complete build, which I completed over the weekend and was running smoothly. My problem is that I flashed the bios last night, and the computer restarted to the bios. I then exited and the computer has not rebooted since. I get 2 red LEDs, and everything seems to be getting power. I'll also note that I did the coolbits overclock to my video card, but it was running fine before I flashed the bios.

If it turns out that I messed up something on my video card, and need a short replacement, I only have AGP video cards to use, so I can't substitute them.

Also, I never noticed the LEDs before, and I see that the DRAM power LED is on yellow. Is that how it's supposed to be?

I really had no idea which bios I had before I flashed, but I installed the DFI nF4 510-3fix bios from Tmods bios CD. It installed fine, but I found it odd that when I set the bios to load from CD at start, and put harddrive as secondary to load, it skipped the CD and still loaded the HD. Only way I could get it to load, was by only putting on the CD being able to load at startup.

Sorry if I messed up a few times, but I'm pretty new to some of this stuff and there's a decent learning curve which I'm still working on. Just bare with me :)

Guest Dynamic

First try clearing the CMOS with the jumpers off the motherboard. I think the factory Bios that came with your board was, either the 06/23/2005 or the new one 11/14/2005. Anyhow i have the same board and i also used Tmods CD but flashed with a different bios. Also when you do get your system back up into the BIOS, set everything to default and test your memory with MEMTEST86 which can be enable in the Genie Menu to run after post. Hope to hear from you....

Guest Dynamic

Also if you do have a USB keyboard you might have problems getting the WINDOWS INSTALLATION CD to accept the any key screen, you know what i mean. So try to use PS/2 keyboard and mouse until you can get your system up and running after setting everything to default and testing your memory with Memtest86, okay? Good Luck! :)

Is there a recommended amount of time I should spend to change the CMOS?

Also, what exactly is CMOS? I hear alot about it, but I've never seen an actual definition. I gather that it's something that puts my original bios back on.

I'll do what you say, and even though I had not done any memory tests on the computer before, it was running marvelously this weekend. So I doubt that is the problem. And doesn't the 2 LEDs mean that I should have a problem with my video, and that my RAM, CPU and power are fine?

Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.

If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.

Well I can get into windows only after doing the CMOS thing. Still can't get memtest to run. It still does not restart after the initial startup after CMOS. And just to clarify, 2 LEDs means what? I have a video problem? I've read the guide, and I know that they mean which parts have been detected, but does it mean that my VGA is giving me problems?

Also, when it does load after CMOS, 3 LEDs stay on for about 2 seconds. Is that normal?

Well from what I gather, it's probably my video card giving me problems. I guess I'll try to uninstall the drivers and take off the overclock on it. I figure a reinstall might fix it, if that's causing the problem.