DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

hehe.. PCLOS boots up detects your network at first bootup in gui and lets you select which network device you want to use.. I tried it on my cousins DELL XPS M1210 and wireless was enabled since the ethernet port was damaged ..

See what I mean ?

Fiesty did the same for me with a D-Link 650:)

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

How hard would it be to install C4d ,Bryce5, PSP8 in linux( feisty fawn.)

Ive got the pron to work:rolleyes: Now some help on getting those 3 proggys to run and I'd be MS free.I don't game.

Damn this thread is old, anyway rather than starting a new one I figured I'd resurrect this one.

I have been fiddling around with Ubuntu Feisty lately and I was actually considering changing all 3 of my rigs to Ubuntu, but I was stalled when I researched hardware support for my main (HTPC) rig. It seems there are no drivers available for my X-FI, at least not until Q3 or Q4, according to this site;

http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html

I found that link when I was reading this thread here;

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/bo...essage.id=31220

So is this really it, isn't there any workaround until official drivers are released? Switching back to an old sound card is just not a viable option for me, I am so used to 7.1 EX/ES surround sound now.

I wish I could give you some encouraging information, but unfortunately Creative X-FI is a no-no in Linux. It's totally Creatives own fault, because there are developers ready and eager to make open drivers for it. Creative made a promise to release drivers more than a year ago and now I even doubt it will happen (the statement "it looks like the first public Beta will be available end calendar Q3 or early calendar Q4" doesn't give a lot of confidence and it will anyway be half-way too too late).

See ALSA's own home page: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index...ive_Labs#matrix

As you can see "Creative actively preventing support due to no datasheets being released to ALSA developers" and reverse engineering would be very time consuming; I mean they really would have to work blindfolded in the dark.

Personally I avoid these cards since other options exist. Nevertheless I hope owners of X-FI cards will become such a pain in the a** for Creative so they either fulfill their promises or become humble enough to passively support the ALSA team.

Yeah I googled the hell out of it, seems that unless I get a different card I'll have to stick to XP, on that rig anyway.

In the meantime I set up wifey's machine to dual boot Ubuntu and got everything working good on there except that her USB keyboard isn't recognized unless it's from a cold boot. I set up R/W permissions and mounted her NTFS permissions. I also Emulated DVDShrink through wine :D

Which reminds me, I was having a problem getting any virtual drive apps to work. I heard good things about Acetone, but couldn't get it to install for some reason.

I also had a try at installing Beryl, which ended up in me having to reinstall actually :P Other than that everything else is good on it.

Yeah, i tried Suse, wasn't happy with it at all... I'll go back to Debian... I haven't tried Ubuntu, maybe it'll be worth trying... pclinuxos is based on what? Might try coughLindowscoughcough I mean Linspire ^^ I had an early release that was in practically pre-beta stages, so not much experience with it either...

I tried Linspire 5.0 and I found it extremely easy to learn on, but overall I find Ubuntu to be the prefect balance between the easiness of Windows and the security and speed of Linux. I say give Ubuntu a try. I have tried PCLinuxOS as well and wasn't too happy with it since I had problems with it not detecting some of my hardware.

Except for that everybody has to start somewhere, and jumping onto anything more in-depth just scares Linux newbies away, myself included. Start with something simple like Ubuntu and work your way up to something more complicated when you master the basics and if you ever feel the need to.