DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

First try ... I installed dual boot Ubuntu FF ... but I can't get any debian package to install.

When I use terminal = sudo dpkg -i automatix2-ubuntu_4.4-2_i386.deb, it doesn't work

When I try to use built in installer I get "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: automatix2-common

Totally new to Linux and know I'm missing something basic, but can't find it.

I suspect I need to create a specific directory run the deb from there but ????

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First try ... I installed dual boot Ubuntu FF ... but I can't get any debian package to install.

When I use terminal = sudo dpkg -i automatix2-ubuntu_4.4-2_i386.deb, it doesn't work

When I try to use built in installer I get "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: automatix2-common

Totally new to Linux and know I'm missing something basic, but can't find it.

I suspect I need to create a specific directory run the deb from there but ????

As with any new user in linux, ya gotta RTFM, Read The Favored Manual.

Ubuntu comes with instructions from install to full customization.

The first thing after install, I check to see if the network is up. Then you have to setup your repositories 'repos', and then do what the instructions tell you. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ . I even had to read the docs on windows 3.1 when it came out, we all have to read in order to master the tech.

Cute, but I wouldn't have asked the question before reading. I do like to find things myself and only ask when I am stumped. I am trying to get the network working with ndis* but can't seem to get it installed. I am having to do this without having a wired connection.

Cute, but I wouldn't have asked the question before reading. I do like to find things myself and only ask when I am stumped. I am trying to get the network working with ndis* but can't seem to get it installed. I am having to do this without having a wired connection.

I wasn't trying to be cute, but it still applies, there are thousand reasons why your updates are not working and I can't tell from here which it is. Follow the instructions in the documentation and then tell us what part breaks.

I'm not sure, but I think this will apply (even though it's FC), just change the names to adapt to your system:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...ad.php?t=537641 (skip that, I don't think it applies)

It's instructions to use the cd/dvd for packages. Yes, doing updates/packages on linux without a network connection does suck. Especially on a lappy with a wireless that you cannot get running.

Call me on skype if you need more help.

Dylan (skype faheyd)

EDIT: Found this in the docs:

## If you have a install CD you can add it to the reposity using 'apt-cdrom add'

## which will add a line similar to the following:

#deb cdrom:[ubuntu 7.04 _Feisty Fawn_ - Beta i386 (20070322.1)]/ feisty main restricted

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty main restricted

#deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty main restricted

You can manually add/install the packages you want with http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#...y_update_Ubuntu using aptitude and skip the automatix2.

faheyd, thanks, i am going to follow your repository suggestions.

Edit: Actually it is the ndiswrapper I am trying to do ... Automatix2 was my hope of trying to install anything at the moment ... but could install anything

I did find my original problem ... according to the error the "common dependency" was caused by not having that portion installed. I only had the ndiswrapper-utils and needed the ndiswrapper-common as well (never mentioned in anything I read about using ndiswrapper so maybe it is part of the repositories you mentioned and everone just assumes that part is already installed). So I downloaded the common file and then installed both successfully.

Now I can not get ndiswrapper to install the wifi driver, error=

"couldn't create /etc/ndiswrapper/netani: Permission denied at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-1.9 line 146"

I assume this is due to how I am logged in, I did try "mayname -a" at the prompt but it didn't help.

I mention it just in case something comes to you.:)

I have to keep booting into Windows to get stuff ... yieks:sad:

So I am off to do the repository dance. Thanks again.

faheyd, thanks, i am going to follow your repository suggestions.

Edit: Actually it is the ndiswrapper I am trying to do ... Automatix2 was my hope of trying to install anything at the moment ... but could install anything

I did find my original problem ... according to the error the "common dependency" was caused by not having that portion installed. I only had the ndiswrapper-utils and needed the ndiswrapper-common as well (never mentioned in anything I read about using ndiswrapper so maybe it is part of the repositories you mentioned and everone just assumes that part is already installed). So I downloaded the common file and then installed both successfully.

Now I can not get ndiswrapper to install the wifi driver, error=

"couldn't create /etc/ndiswrapper/netani: Permission denied at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-1.9 line 146"

I assume this is due to how I am logged in, I did try "mayname -a" at the prompt but it didn't help.

I mention it just in case something comes to you.:)

I have to keep booting into Windows to get stuff ... yieks:sad:

So I am off to do the repository dance. Thanks again.

I'll assume you are doing the 'sudo' when installing, sometimes you just have to cheat, try this:

sudo touch /etc/ndiswrapper/netani , then do a 'chmod 755 /etc/ndiswrapper/netani', and then try that ndiswrapper install again.

Also, exactly what is the name of the hardware you are trying to install, example ipw3945 etc?

On my Dell 600m I did not have success getting things to work until I used the wired connection on the lappy to the internet, then updated everything, then was able to get the wireless working, but that was a year ago, things have improved quite a bit, we are talking Ubuntu 7.04 right?

If things don't work here, you can go to the Ubuntu forums and see what help is available there, where many pro's hang out. http://ubuntuforums.org/

DWL-G650 ... some people have had this work natively it seems.

I did not use sudo on the install command for the inf for DWL-G650. This booting back and forth is killing me. Once I get the wifi working I will seem much smarter (internet portion of my brain working).

I will try now.

DWL-G650 ... some people have had this work natively it seems.

I did not use sudo on the install command for the inf for DWL-G650. This booting back and forth is killing me. Once I get the wifi working I will seem much smarter (internet portion of my brain working).

I will try now.

Seems there are different versions of that card, good luck! Do a search on google, ubuntu DWL-G650 , and see if there are some good clues or howto's.

I feel your pain. With my dell e1705 it is always a pain to get the wireless working. (even in XP).

Ok Feisty Fawn and I are happily wifi-ing away here. After beating my head against the wall installing/uninstalling drivers I found a little button in the upper right hand corner for wireless network connection. My old D-Link DWL-G650b worked natively. Who knew.

Now if I can get my screen to display properly in something more than 1024x768, I'm good to go.

Sure, Ubuntu is Linux for dummies but I'm feeling good about it. One still must use the command line enough to satisfy the inner geek. It is nice to be able to actually use it while learning a little about Linux.

Ok Feisty Fawn and I are happily wifi-ing away here. After beating my head against the wall installing/uninstalling drivers I found a little button in the upper right hand corner for wireless network connection. My old D-Link DWL-G650b worked natively. Who knew.

Now if I can get my screen to display properly in something more than 1024x768, I'm good to go.

Sure, Ubuntu is Linux for dummies but I'm feeling good about it. One still must use the command line enough to satisfy the inner geek. It is nice to be able to actually use it while learning a little about Linux.

Good for you, I can't even get my nvidia drivers to load on my e1705, that's a whole different story. And the gui for the wireless would not setup correctly, I had to manually add 'wireless-key restricted XXXXXXXXXX' to the /etc/wireless/ something or other file. It's a pain, but you will like COMPIZ if you have a good vid card in the lappy or workstation.

Hey, you did have more to say, dang all diskombobulated today.

I'm on an old Radeon 7500 and have not gotten the "box" desktop to work yet. Not sure if related to older card, saw where Compiz needs a tweak to enable box. I can make the windows pop and wiggle, etc. But I am looking forward to getting it on my desktop, which has better graphics.

You are talking about the Compiz that is part of Ubuntu 7 correct? Or should I install additional? I don't have a lot of room on the partitions. I allowed 2.44gb for root/home and only have 276mg remaining.