Sign in to follow this  
Guest culinist_merged

DIY Street Linux Thread.

here's my major Linux question of this half-year

why hasn't anyone put together a Linux package purely for gamers?

ie: they've got most of the useless stuff stripped out, and they've got it EXTREMELY EASY to install Nvidia or ATI video drivers, sound drivers, etc (since this is the hardest thing to do on Linux is get 3d Acceleration and all the audio etc working properly....)

I would think that as a pure gaming setup, Linux would rock pretty hard, even if using WineX (they still use that for D3D games right?)

I've tried linux probably 10+ times and only once have I been able to get 3d Acceleration working properly and that was probably 1998 or so with RedHat Linux and a GeForce 256 lol

I really think someone who knows someone who knows someone who works on Linux distro's should work hard to put together a moderately easy-to-install-and-setup Linux that is purely for gaming (this is the beauty of Linux is that it can be specialized for individual tasks like this)

I suggest you look at the gentoo install documentation as it's very informative and easy to follow, plus you can tweak your system according to your CPU's specs therefore gain a system compile just with all the features your cpu can offer, other distros provide pre-compiled binaries which are build to work for most architectures and building your own packages as per Gentoo's from source distribution can get your system running faster then ever before.

med_superpi-345x9-24.270.png

superpi 1mb run @ only 24sec is not bad compare to the 26.700s it does on the windows partition.

If you need advice getting it running fully tweaked to your hardware's specs, send me a pm i'll guide the way.

http://www.e-fense.com/helix/

This is actually the distro I use for file recovery.

Its a live cd thats purpose is digital forensics. This CD plus a USB flash drive has recovered every file from a slew of computers that have taken their dirt nap a little too early...

Heh......

Wayyyyyy over my head!!!!! All I need is a live disk that will allow me to copy files to cd. :)

Heh......

Wayyyyyy over my head!!!!! All I need is a live disk that will allow me to copy files to cd. :)

download the gentoo livecd.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I've got a couple of weeks off at Christmas so I'm hoping to spend a good portion of that playing with linux.

I'm hoping to find an install that will allow me to run Diablo II on Battlenet without too much tweaking. (Don't really care about how well it runs as long as I can log into battlenet and keep a mule game open).

So far the best place I've found for getting the various distros is Distrowatch. I plan to look there, as well as reading up on as many forums as I can find to make the install painless.

Guest BFG

I just installed gentoo the other day. Its a bit of work, but I suggest not using the livecd installer and just doin it manually. You will learn a LOT about linux and what the operating system is based on. This isn't for people who don't have much time though. The install with just terminal, no GUI took about 3 hours. X11 took about 2 hours to compile with all of the dependencies, and gnome took about 4 hours. Today I installed CUPS (which was a breeze) and am working on getting alsa setup.

EDIT: alsa is setup just fine and dandy. The problem was that i didn't have an mp3 decoder installed. So I am gunna listen to some russian techno then go to sleep :P

HI all

im Running a gentoo 2006.1 AMD64 to.

I use it for MIDI and Audio stuff (Rosegarden, Jack etc.) and for OpenGL Development.

Im using fluxbox kde and enlightenment (simply rocks)

I Do really like gentoo, even if its a bit more work than e.g. Ubuntu. Its just for enthusiasts and features great support and a Strong Dev-Communitiy and also portage RULES!!! For those of you tired of

emerge -uav xyz

you should try kuroo (www.kuroo.org) which is a good GUI for portage.

PS: Im using it on NVraid without a problem. But i had to use the 2006.0 Disk for install because i needed working dmraid (which didnt on 2006.1) But you can simply take the newer stage3tarballs and portage snaps.

Also Youll need to compile an initrd or cpio archive for booting on raid, but if you use genkernel its no prob (i dont use it because im using rt-sources and had to compile an ramdisk on my own, but youll find a good HOWTO on gentoo-wiki.com (search for nvraid)

Greetz

Chaos

Guest erico

I run Windows XP Pro x86 / x64. I run my LINUX on VMWare...that makes the RAID driver not a problem for me

hm...

Im using Xp poor too but only because i have to for Asp.net developing crap i have to do for customers.

Im using the gentoo portage-proaudio overlay and not that many ~amd64 packages because i need my system to be stable and reliable. But someone has to find those Bugs :tooth:

I've been waiting for my Gentoo install to bite the dust but it just keeps on trucking along.. Running mm-sources 2.6.19-rc6-mm2 on Reiser4 with hash-styles. I expected problems but just haven't had any for a long while..

Hi All, I am new in this thread. I have spent over an hour reading the more recent messages. I am not sure if I have got the answers to my puzzles.

I am new to Linux and am planning to install SUSE 10.1 (64 bit) into my PC so that I can inter-work / share files with my existing Window XP and XP X64.

I am not too sure what is the best way to get this done. Someone mentioned about virtual PC (??). Any body has experience for this product for 64 bit OS?

In addition, will I have problem to get my

1. RAID 0 on the nF4 controller

2. 2 x SLI video card

to work under SUSE 10.1?

Any advice will be much appreciated.