DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

I just recently did a normal Debian install on my new hardrive. It came with a 2.6.3 kernel. About a week later was configuring my nvidia video module and I decided to upgrade to kernel 2.6.6 while I was at it. I'm just using the stock debian kernel but I like it a lot. It seems they've worked out some of the stuff that was causing me problems. :)

Hey... do any of you use lm_sensors? I was trying to set it up the other day and it would 'detect' both winbond sensors, but it would only get info from one. I'm gonna try it again.... but I thought I'd see if any of you have gotten it to work.

EDIT -- I got lm-sensors to work tonight with my new kernel. ;)

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Psychosis

My Distro of choice is Gentoo with 2.6.3+ kernel. Had good luck with that distro. Also if you have a small pc with a small cpu and small ram and small hard drive then you could try Vector Linux since its a distro thats...... well ...... "small".

• 9 months later...

Hi.. I'm a 12-Years Windows User and 2 weeks Linux user as well (altough I don't have Windows anywhere, unless you count the BenchOC'ing HD which is only connected when I need to fiddle with the OC), and I'm also a DFI LanParty User.

I've been working with a lot of Linux Distros thru these years, and finally made the change to Ubuntu Linux as I ditched Windows forever (* read above).

I've just wanted to know who else here uses Linux and their stories.

I've managed to get almost all of it working but:

* LAN Drops (@ 10x250 which was instable anyways, so I'll need to check with 11x230 as it is prime stable).

* Dolby Digital with my Creative DeskTop Theater 2500.

* Fan Speeds showing in lm-sensors.

And apart of that, I'll make a suggestion:

If you are tired of windows and its quirks, and want to learn a little bit more about 'puters in general, give Linux a try.

Ubuntu Linux is a fairly new linux distribution which has great support for the noobs (as I am) & hardware (and I mean it) and it's easy to work with. The support community at the official IRC Channel and on the Forums are second compared to none. I'll have to say that I've never EVER seen a Help channel be like the Ubuntu one.

Ubuntu Linux

Install Version download for the x86 Architecture (means AMD Athlon XP and Pentium 4 users should use this)

AMD 64 Install CD ISO

And for those who wanna be totally safe about testing Linux, I recommend using these live cd's (that for those who don't know, boot completely out of the CD and don't touch the HD's.):

Live CD for x86

AMD 64bit Live CD.

word.

:cat: meow

Erm.. small wouldn't mean it's suitable for Low-powered computers.

There are distros which are optimized for lowpowered computer such as Kurumin or Dizinha Linux (both brazilian mind me) but I'm sure that there are english ones as well.

i installed the SuSe x86_64 version (9.2?) on my Ultra-D...but could NEVER get the damn ATI drivers to work for my X850XT PE so I gave up on it

i might try again though on using an old AGP vid card (or X300SE ATI crapper PCI-E) and a 10/100 NIC like my old Realtek heh.

Linux is still like MAC OS to me...sorta useless (its useful to those who know it...useless to those of us who dont)

anything i can do in Linux i can do 1000000 times better and faster in Windows. This doesnt mean Windows is better (cuz it aint). It means that Linux still has a long way to go to be easy enough to learn for normal users to pick it up (ie: thats the draw of Windows is its pretty darn simple...for the most part...)

cool. a linux thread. :)

As of late - been using LinuxFromScratch in some incarnation or another.

Just got LFS-6.1-testing (with the 2.6.10 kernel) up and going on my NF4 rig.

Next up: X windows and then nwn....

Guest culinist

Hey Xeon,

I have never had a problem getting fan speeds to show in lm_sensors. My 3.3v rail is a different story on my UT 250gb. It seems to want to multiply it by 2 for some reason. I assume you do have your fans hooked up to mobo headers?

I just installed ubuntu the other day and since I came over from Debian I find it really easy to set up. A broadband connect is a must though, since the cds are decidedly lacking in packages. The ubuntu forums are great and so is the ubuntu section at linuxquestions.org.

So far my favorite distros are Debian, pclinuxos and ubuntu.

Hopefully we can get all the Linux geeks over here together for some support. Maybe get some converts too.:)

Guest culinist

Hey AG. Try pclinuxos for getting your ATI card workin. It loads the drivers out of the box. Seems as though the site it down or I'd post a direct link. Ya wanna look for the p81a ATI iso.

EDIT**

Here ya go. It's not 64bit but still real quick, and just chock full of apps. Perfect for someone just startin out.

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributi...nglish/preview/

nah im done with Linux for another couple of years. if good smart guys like me can't stand linux and/or get it working correctly...then it will never become mainstream (which is linux's biggest problem).

maybe one day they'll get over themselves and make an easy-to-use linux that doesnt involve a bunch of crap command line junk that we all got rid of back in the DOS days (did the linux guys get too high during the shift to GUI-windows and just now putting the bong away to realize that we evolved to EASY operating system useage????)

I'm like AG. The last distro of Debian was just way too difficult to configure.

I think there are two linux camps. One wants to make the move to a mainstream operating system that is very easy to use. The other camp wants to keep linux their own domain so they make it difficult on purpose. My views are derived from working with both academic and industrial users.

The head IT guy at a local manufacturing plant was so into linux that he kept pushing management to get off of Microsoft products. He even went as far as setting up a linux box with office applications and stick it on the company presidents desk while he was out of town.

The next day the IT guy was fired and I haven't heard linux mentioned at the plant since.