DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

Guest culinist

Ok man sorry for cornfuzin you. Hell after rereading it confuses me. The 3 steps were only 3 of many that is needed top happen to install these drivers. Most of them are done by the installers though so we don't have to worry about them.

I'm gonna dl PCLnux right now and slap it on my test partition, in about 2 hours I'll have an answer for you hopefully.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest culinist

Well I'm gettin crap dl speeds of PCLinux, pulled a Xubuntu torrent in like 10 min though. It's gonna be a while, but we'll have 'er figured soon.

Guest culinist

Well doc, since your original post involved a server tutorial using xubuntu I'm gonna install that first and document how i got it all to work. If you still want to use it fine, if not I can try PCLinux later on.

Hey Thanks....

Well here's the update...this is definately a learning curve...it makes me feel like the little school girl I felt like when I first messed with PC's back in the Commodor64 days

I went to the pclinuxos.com web site and did some searching....

I also downloaded the OS right from that site using the Indiana/Vincennes link (close to me) I got 400kb/s dl speeds....so no torrent action needed....

here is what i found out...

As you stated you can download the proprietary drivers right from the Synaptic Package manager....So I needed to figure that out as they are labled without much clue of what i needed....

At the pclinuxos.com forum I read the FAQ's (when all else fails...) and found to use the nvidia-97xx package but for the life of me it kept failing...

fianally it went and I got the 3D Beryl effects going...so I decided to try enabling the XGL also...well.... that ended up with a dialog box that said "Log Out" and hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace....so i did...it locked and the next screen after logging back in....

so I figured I boogered it so I wiped it and reloaded it again....This time I couldnt get any of the Nvidia drivers to load...well after a couple of hours and watching "Full Metal Jacket" I came back and decided to hit the "Reload" button on the Package manager" and holy sheet it loaded...

Installed and I am back where I was before I F'd it up...

Looking at the 3D tab in the Hardware Center I see under the XGL it says something about needing a OpenGL something or other... Do I need to load a OpenGL for the Nvidia card...?

I guess I can look for something and if I F.... It up again it only takes 20 minutes to wipe it and reload back to square 1....lol

So far i really like this and it's growing on me because of being easy...almost for a dumbass like me...this is easy to learn once you know what to select and how to do it...

It has button in the Hardware Center for "Web server" and "File Server" that will enable me to do either of those... so that maybe fun...

But for a Dedicated File server I would probably go with my 1st choice (Xubuntu 7.10) for the simple fact of the guide and its thoroughness for ease of set up....

This PC Linux 2007 OS is a very nice alternative to Windows and has alot of built in Features that are just point and click with not command line interface....I have yet to do that other than trying to install the downloaded driver from nvidia which didnt work anyways....

Only that is an issue to me is Do I need and Anti-Virus on this Linux rig...?

other than that i thing I am ready to download some games and mess around with it and learn to load music to the music folder and Play it...

I really want to know just how to get XGL going just so I know for sure wether my card cant handle it (I am sure it can) or it's just me not knowing what I need to make it work.....

My goal is to get good enough at this to help others that may want to try it...

If I had some small hard drives laying aroung I would load a distro on each drive to learn on....as I dont want to get into partitioning and loading OS's on each partition...

PC Linux 2007 mirrors for download....Link courtesy of ReelFile....

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=...files&Itemid=28

Guest culinist

Ok I'm typing this from an compiz-fusion enabled Xubuntu box. After a little fiddling around and remembering how ubuntu does things, I got everything to work and think I can put together a guide here to help ya out.

This is what I had to do to for Xubuntu 7.10

1. Enter Synaptic and go to the Settings tab. Click on repositories. Check all of the boxes. Then go to the Updates tab and select Important and Recomended updates.

2. it will reload the repo list for you. Mark all upgrades and apply.

3.Close Synaptic.

4. Go to Applications>System>Restricted Drivers Manager, enable the nvidia driver. It will install 'nvidia-glx-new'.

5. It will tell you to restart. Do it.

6. After reboot your settings may be all screwed up using funky resolutiuons, Just deal with it and log in. Open up Terminal and type:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Follw the instructions and when in doubt select the default. What you MUST make sure you do is choose 'nvidia' when you are told to choose a driver, and set your resolution at the end. I also shoose the 'simple' configuration for hsync and vsync and it works fine for me.

7. Reboot again.

You should be good to go if there were no errors anywhere during the setup. To test it open Terminal and type:

glxinfo | grep direct

Should say:

direct rendering: Yes

We'll tackle compiz/beryl if this works for you, since you have to have this working first.

Guest culinist

To answer some of your other questions.

You'll want to run an antivirus if your sharing with Windows boxes, which I assume you are.

clamav is a good one.

OpenGL is what renders the 3d, the nvidia driver provides this.

Best beginning command line tutorial:

http://linuxcommand.org/

Checking on the Anti-virus stuff...

Distros I've loaded so far are....

Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Xubuntu 7.10

PCLinux2007

So far I still have PC Linux 2007 still installed on the drive....

I also found out Compiz-Fusion is suposed to come pre-packaged in Ubuntu 7.10 (GG) and only needs to be enabled (after you install the proprietary video card driver) and then get additional plug ins via the Synaptic Package Manger....

Guest culinist
I also found out Compiz-Fusion is suposed to come pre-packaged in Ubuntu 7.10 (GG) and only needs to be enabled (after you install the proprietary video card driver) and then get additional plug ins via the Synaptic Package Manger....

The LinuxMint that I checked out the other day was like that. Once you installed the nvidia driver it enabled compiz. Still had to download and install some emerald themes though.

So....any luck with the nvidia driver, bowtie?

yea...

I got it loaded... there are 2 different ones for me though....Once i hit the reload button on the packet manager I found the 97xx and the 100xx and i installed the 97xx (for fx and older cards)

So i enabled 3D for Beryl use and played with that...then I googled Compiz-Fusion (cuz I saw you loaded it to Xubuntu) and learned alittle about that...

I looked in the synaptic package manager and seen it was available for download....

I loaded it and it works halfassed....probably because i only have a fx5200 but I have opacity and the sides of the 3D flip cube...no top or anything....

And it loaded and installed easier than the mistake I made trying to enable XGL...that just didnt work

The Biggest AGP card I have is a 5950 so i doubt I'l be able to get the full function but I am liking this alot

learning the Compiz/Emerald package is different...but I figured out how to load a theme on my own so thats a big plus plus i loaded some wallpapers and changed the backgroud...

I am also making this post from PCLinux2007

I may load it to another drive on my dual core 3G's rig as this small mATX board decides it will not boot from full power off without clearing the cmos due to a no keyboard error....

so i may just use it for a file server or something and continue playing on a faster/better rig...?

Guest culinist

Right on man. You're rollin right along. Some folks just take to Linux like that. I think it's a lack of expectations. So many want it to work as "well" as windows and get frustrated when it doesn't right away.

The trick is just to use for everything that you can, learn the CLI, and have fun with all the free stuff.