DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ubuntu Studio 7.04 Looks awsome. I was thinking of installing Ubuntu 7.10 but I think Im going to itstall Ubuntu Studio insted! :) I dont realy get why US cant install AUD-DVD Codecs. Isnt that just for playing dvd's? If so what could I use to play dvd's?

Wel the install keeps failing on me, might need a newer version of VMware.

I am not expert, but just have a look at the VM options, there is an 'add' button under 'Hardware', try playing around with that.

I will be adding RAID/LVM2 into my Gentoo guide and those of you that are to lazy to follow my instructions and don't want a FASTER Linux OS, better than ubuntu,fedora,suse you f&^%& name it, Gentoo will rox yer sox!!!!

Ok, for the lazy fockers out there, i will make it easy for you and setup a script to automagically install everything for you. Oh yea Ubuntu is nice but it lacks CPU specific tweaks, Filesystem tweaks and ain't this what we are all about? We want the most speed out of our hardware and software! don't we boys and girls?? :D

Ha,ha, likewhoa, you never give up, do you?! Agreed, Gentoo is great, but for me Arch is my personal choice of avoiding all the bloat most distributions force upon you, and keep maintenance a bit simpler than in Gentoo.

Call me a lazy bustard if you so wish!

Your guide will be appreciated likewhoa, cross distribution wise.

Ha,ha, likewhoa, you never give up, do you?! Agreed, Gentoo is great, but for me Arch is my personal choice of avoiding all the bloat most distributions force upon you, and keep maintenance a bit simpler than in Gentoo.

Call me a lazy bustard if you so wish!

Your guide will be appreciated likewhoa, cross distribution wise.

If i was to choose a binary based distro, Arch Linux would be the one.

I will be adding RAID/LVM2 into my Gentoo guide and those of you that are to lazy to follow my instructions and don't want a FASTER Linux OS, better than ubuntu,fedora,suse you f&^%& name it, Gentoo will rox yer sox!!!!

Ok, for the lazy fockers out there, i will make it easy for you and setup a script to automagically install everything for you. Oh yea Ubuntu is nice but it lacks CPU specific tweaks, Filesystem tweaks and ain't this what we are all about? We want the most speed out of our hardware and software! don't we boys and girls?? :D

lol actually most of us I think just want to be able to use Linux in a sort-of-roundabout-same-type-of-way as we do Windows.

Tweaking is killer sure (hey, I made the XP tweak guide video tutorial) but if you really don't understand what you are doing in the first place, it's hard to get into tweaking. I've no doubt this thread is mostly for you guys who are hard into the Linux thing and like the tweaking, but now that I'm fooling with Linux in a serious fashion, I'm more interested in learning in a sorta of "Windows users guide to using Linux" way more than I am "how to compile your kernel with 3.x2.x666 to make cpu calculations .01254% faster".

Got to always remember, Linux is NOT for everyday users, but if we want everyday users to start migrating, we got to make things dumbed-down for them (and we CANNOT be like elitists and Mac users are and say "but we don't want to dumb it down because then it will be Windows!" as that is just not the proper way to get people to accept such a switch from something they've grown up on to something completely alien and foreign!).

I'm here though, and though I've nearly punched 200,000 holes into my monitor in less than 24 hours with ubuntu, I'm excited to possibly learn more than how to uninstall it and forget it for another year haha.

Another Angry dead nuts on post :D

Thread has been open for 3 years and I still don't have the nads.

I'd really like to learn more but afraid to open my mouth due to my extreme n00bosity concerning all matters linux.

Ok, for the lazy fockers out there, i will make it easy for you and setup a script to automagically install everything for you

I Got a spare HDD and want to boot XP as well.

Bring on the magic.

Take me to the water :)