DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

Just wanted to step in and say hello to my fellow linux users. These days I'm running ubuntu feisty fawn 64-bit on my main rig, dual booted with the obligatory XP pro for everyone else in the house.

Going to work on getting "some crap usb wireless adapter*" I got off of woot.com for a pittance to work next. This should be a hoot.

*copyright pending :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I care all that much, but why?

There's no rational explanation for this but a whole lot of arguing is going on between different camps of Linux. Recently I've seen how Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS fans have accused each other of all kinds of malicious stuff. Personally I don't care, and in a sense I think it's inevitable that open source communities tend to be more sensitive to criticism, because so many are involved and likewise so many feel an urge to stand up and defend their preferences.

PCLinuxOS has done a great work in the field of getting a Linux distro to be easily configurable and more or less ready to use out of the box; features that many appreciate. Still you have one person, Texas, running the show, so even if Ubuntu needs to improve in certain areas I don't see how a real take over would happen anytime soon.

I didn't mean it like that, I meant it more of a personal opinion.

I've been distro-hopping since 2004 since I never find something that makes me happy (Yes some of us like that) .

But what I've used longest are Arch, Gentoo, PCLoS, ubuntu ..

January 19, 2007 first day of work, installed Linux Mint(based on Ubuntu) used that for a month, then switched to Sidux (Debian sid) but there's a bug with OpenOffice in debian opening documents from network share so moved to PCLOS but new PCLOS is still in development so the all the packages werent moved. APril came, installed Feisty been running it since just because most works.

Was playing with DesktopBSD, PCBSD recently not my flavor anymore. Installing Arch now going to play with it a bit and then Gentoo. This is at work .

I don't know about bookkeeping systems which complies to the US standard, and naturally have an English interface. Nevertheless we already have alternatives on the Swedish market. JFS is made to natively run on Linux, Unicell is made compatible with wine in Linux, and some other open source alternatives are under development and close to a final product. This doesn't help you in the US, but at least it proves that the market for Linux has matured.

Strange in a way: when I grow up the family business was totally based on Unix, I mean bookkeeping was owned by Unix, then we had the big debacle when MS could take over, and now we might a "generation" later finally get back to square one... even though the square now is a lot more polished, fancy, fast and what other superlative we choose to use.

I hope you find some alternatives in the US as well.

Does anyone know if I can find Linux drivers for my Linksys Wireless-G PCI card? I checked Linksys's support website and forums and they say it can't be done, but I know you guys know better. :D
Search your distros forum for ndiswrapper, there should be a step by step how to guide to get you up and running. I'm using a Linksys Wireless G card in my expert with Gentoo and ndiswrapper so it does work.

hehe.. PCLOS boots up detects your network at first bootup in gui and lets you select which network device you want to use.. I tried it on my cousins DELL XPS M1210 and wireless was enabled since the ethernet port was damaged ..

See what I mean ?

hehe.. PCLOS boots up detects your network at first bootup in gui and lets you select which network device you want to use.. I tried it on my cousins DELL XPS M1210 and wireless was enabled since the ethernet port was damaged ..

See what I mean ?

I guess... I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 and I have absolutely no problems with dual booting or using wireless. I had no configuring to do what-so-ever for it and I'm on a college campus with secured wireless.

I sometimes find it interesting when someone touts a Linux Distro as better than the rest, they are all Linux and they all have the same capabilities. Some are a little better packaged is all.

I still prefer compiling from source just for the streamlining of my OS. My software needs outside of my business are pretty basic so a prepackaged OS is just bloatware to me..