DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

Total Linux novice, just got 64 bit UBUNTU to work yesterday after fighting with the xserver refusing to work with my 7600GS PCI-E card on a Expert board.

Upgraded today to the new beta, Feisty, which although its not an offical release seems more stable than Edgy 6.10 did.

Only problem left is it refuses to boot with my OCZ Platinum GTXC kit running at 500MHZ.

Ive defaulted back to the settings for my Gold Edition PC3500 which is working fine.

Weird thing is I've been running the stable settings from the database at OCZ for about 9 months on XP with no problems.

Planning on changing 1 or 2 settings at a time to see where the problem is.:cool:

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said before, Linux doesn't hide any instability problems at all, unlike windows. Unless your computer is 100% stable, you WILL encounter errors in linux. Its a good thing since it doesn't lead to wierd problems down the road when you thought your memory timings/oc was stable "enough."

This has got me baffled, are you telling me that Linux is detecting instability in my system during boot ?

That Windows doesn't, nor does memtest 95+ nor prime 95.

Settings are below.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/847...morysetings.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/847...orysetings2.jpg

Here's one run of Memtest.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/847577/Memtest.jpg

Now if I use CMOS reloaded and set the memory as it was for my previous OCZ Gold Kit of PC3500, and increase the CPU multiplier to 11 with a FSB of 230 it will boot into UBUNTU AMD64, so it's not a CPU problem.

Drop the multiplier back to 10 and try to change the FSB to get my Platinum PC4000 to run at it's rated 500, no way, tried relaxing various timings dropping the CPU to stock, on and on, it just won't work.

I'm going to try the 32 bit version to see if there's any improvement there, then I'll be comparing like with like as the XP version I'm dual booting with is 32bit.

I just don't believe that the Ubuntu op sys is finding problems that nothing else does.

This has got me baffled, are you telling me that Linux is detecting instability in my system during boot ?

That Windows doesn't, nor does memtest 95+ nor prime 95.

I've haven't noticed any decrease in stability using Ubuntu. But my idle chipset temperatures are 2 degrees higher in 64 bit Ubuntu than in 32 bit XP. The fan is running 500 rpm faster in Ubuntu.

I think this is more likely to be down to the differences between 64 bit and 32 bit rather than the differences between XP and Linux.

Have you tried 32 bit Ubuntu?

No that's my next plan of attack.

I so much want to drop, anything Microspy related but ultimately do want a stable 64 bit platform.

I'm going to install 32 bit UBUNTU but still keep and try to use the 64 bit platform even clocked down, after all it's the only way to get improvements is to use and sent reports.

My idle temps in XP running the settings shown in my shot of Memtest are.

CPU 29-30 - Zalman CNPS9500

PWM IC 42

Chipset 38 - Thermalright HR-05-SLI

• 3 weeks later...

I just upgraded from Edgy 6.10 to Feisty Fawn, Herd 5 - 7.04, both are Ubuntu. The final release of Feisty will be on April 19, 2007. For those who aren't familiar with Ubuntu (oo boon to), it is the top Linux distro at present. Ubuntuforums.com has 266,302 members. The forum is extremely active.

This new OS has impressed me tremendously. I am running "Beryl 0.2.0" (3D Desktop) without any problems. Compiz actually comes standard with Feisty, but I like Beryl.

The programs are far faster than any previous distros. The program that I use as my gauge is "OpenOffice Writer 2.2". It opens far more quickly than ever before.

It won't be too many moons before I change to Ubuntu as my default OS.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they have something like orthos on windows for linux? I noticed some programs won't crash the OS, or report any error, but will output FUBAR'd results that I can't see until it finishes on an unstable overclock.

Do they have something like orthos on windows for linux? I noticed some programs won't crash the OS, or report any error, but will output FUBAR'd results that I can't see until it finishes on an unstable overclock.

You can run Prime95 in linux a.k.a Gimps to test for stability there are also other stability testing programs for linux, but a good way to know fast is to try to compile a big library like the Glibc Library or the GNU GCC compiler.

If any of those fail with segfaults or just at random lines then it's unstable. but you can also just run the good ol Prime95 for 8+hours.

You can run Prime95 in linux a.k.a Gimps to test for stability there are also other stability testing programs for linux, but a good way to know fast is to try to compile a big library like the Glibc Library or the GNU GCC compiler.

If any of those fail with segfaults or just at random lines then it's unstable. but you can also just run the good ol Prime95 for 8+hours.

I did not understand the "You can run Prime95 in linux a.k.a Gimps" part, what exactly were you trying to say?

I did not understand the "You can run Prime95 in linux a.k.a Gimps" part, what exactly were you trying to say?

yea GIMP != GIMPS

GIMPS which means Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search & and GIMP being GNU Image Manipulation Program. There is also a SuperPI binary available for Linux which can be downloaded here.