DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

Hello Linux users :)

I have used many distros over the years, and really liked Arch Linux on my p4, after getting comfy in Suse then Ubuntu.

Just got my new DFI + DC Opty system built and am looking forward to giving Linux a go on it. Will probably start with Ubuntu 5.10 x86_64.

I don't have a ton of time to invest in it right now, tho ... last semester @ school ... taking Electronics, programming and even a (very outdated) linux class.

c ya around

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey.... does anyone know if there's a way to pull up FSB in a terminal when you aren't using apic?

On my LP-A (which is happy with apic) I can "cat /var/log/dmesg |grep speed" and pull it right up.

On my LP-B, though, I'm booting "noapic nolapic" and the FSB doesn't get logged in dmesg.

It doesn't really matter..... but it'd be nice for screenies.

thanks

k0n

Hey guys, I'm new to DFI but been running linux for a few years now. I'm having a problem with lm_sensors on my expert board.

Have any of you gotten it working. I think I have the right modules in my kernel, but when I run sensors-detect my system just powers off : (as if I had unplugged the power)

Any ideas? I'm running a pretty good OC so I don't want to spend too much time in any OS without my temp sensors working.

I was running winxp, gentoo, and freebsd on my system in sig. Recently I aquired another hard drive identical to the one I had so I had to try out nvraid. Mostly I use freebsd or gentoo for everything but windows only games. I'm also a computer system engineering student and I sometimes need to mess around in windows xp for some kinda computer project.

I setup nvraid for winxp and then freebsd 6.0 recognized the raid0 stripe so I now have both on a duel boot. I'm getting windows server 2003 as part of a school program where I can play with it at home for educational use soon as well, i'm going to see if i can play my video games on that.

It looked painful to set gentoo up for nvraid so I think i'm going to skip out on that. Freebsd has all the unix in it I could ever want at the moment. Its 3d performance is definitely not as good as linux but it is nice. Oh I compiled that pi benchmark, I'll probably run it later because i'm running portupgrade ATM.

That is an interesting thing though, if your using NVraid, freebsd 6.0 requires no messing with in order to make it work.

well, I was just playing around after reading through the thread, I ran the pi benchmark after compiling it to be a little more optimized for freebsd.

-march=k8 -O3 -pipe -mmmx -msse -m3dnow -mfpmath=sse -funroll-loops

I also ran it outside of X, 240 seconds on the dot. I could probably raise the process priority to squeeze out a few more.

Guest culinist
well, I was just playing around after reading through the thread, I ran the pi benchmark after compiling it to be a little more optimized for freebsd.

-march=k8 -O3 -pipe -mmmx -msse -m3dnow -mfpmath=sse -funroll-loops

I also ran it outside of X, 240 seconds on the dot. I could probably raise the process priority to squeeze out a few more.

That's smokin!!!!!!!!!!! Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I'm new to DFI but been running linux for a few years now. I'm having a problem with lm_sensors on my expert board.

Have any of you gotten it working. I think I have the right modules in my kernel, but when I run sensors-detect my system just powers off : (as if I had unplugged the power)

Any ideas? I'm running a pretty good OC so I don't want to spend too much time in any OS without my temp sensors working.

Well, let's look at the amazing support DFI has given to lm-Sensors:

http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/supported.html

Seeing the problems people are having with experts (boards) and mbm, I'm not surprised with you are having problems with lm-sensors. I was able to get my board to work with lm-sensors, but only after much configuration changes. Good luck.

Let me expand on the DFI comment. lm-sensors does 'chips' and not 'motherboards', however, if you put a part in an engine, you are responsible for the part. All that it would take is a little donation/support from DFI and you would have lm-sensors up and running on an expert board in about 2 months on the outside. But companies are based on bang for the buck, and apparently, this has no bang for the DFI unless customers write them some emails. Have at it everyone.

OKay, on my freebsd setup I tried running in single user mode and still got 240seconds with only 2 processes running as opposed to quite a few in full mode. I did a build and install world and that didn't improve it, but it did improve my 3d performance bigtime. GLXgears went from 7k to over 10k! OH, and I am totallly clueless about the sensors unfortunately.

I have no problems with running sensors-detect and then sensors on my sli-dr.

Why don't you mention what Linux version you have?

Martin