DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, updated from 1/25/2005 to 623-3, using Tmod's v5 CD. Went pretty smoothly. I've got memtest86x running right now. Right after flashing, I reset to optimized defaults and tweaked a few obvious things (missed enabling USB keyboard at first, had to go back and do that to use the Grub menu), and then booted XP64. It now boots at full FSB speed. Before, I had to run it at 50% if both OCZ Platinums were installed.

I don't see any option in the BIOS to boot from USB. Is this capability in there? I managed to sys my Kingston 1 GB key using http://ms-sys.sf.net/ and then copied kernel.sys and command.com from my dosemu installation in Fedora, but I don't see any attempt to boot from it. (I haven't yet tried with 623-3, but I want to make sure I've got the right setting enabled to make it try.)

Ok, updated from 1/25/2005 to 623-3, using Tmod's v5 CD. Went pretty smoothly. I've got memtest86x running right now. Right after flashing, I reset to optimized defaults and tweaked a few obvious things (missed enabling USB keyboard at first, had to go back and do that to use the Grub menu), and then booted XP64. It now boots at full FSB speed. Before, I had to run it at 50% if both OCZ Platinums were installed.

I don't see any option in the BIOS to boot from USB. Is this capability in there? I managed to sys my Kingston 1 GB key using http://ms-sys.sf.net/ and then copied kernel.sys and command.com from my dosemu installation in Fedora, but I don't see any attempt to boot from it. (I haven't yet tried with 623-3, but I want to make sure I've got the right setting enabled to make it try.)

I believe on pg 86 of your manual, you have to set the 'boot other device' along with some other Bios Boot options.

YMMV concerning booting from USB keys, not all are alike. Good Luck.

Smart move doing the memtest. It's really the starting place to knowing your system is stable enough to load an OS. They are also some good posts for tips on OCZ memory stuff here.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody succeeded in getting Powernow/Cool-n-Quiet to work under Linux using a DFI board? So far as I can tell, I have all the necessary ACPI stuff enabled in my BIOS but the Linux kernel is complaining about "bad ACPI data" when it attempts to enable powernow.

Has anybody succeeded in getting Powernow/Cool-n-Quiet to work under Linux using a DFI board? So far as I can tell, I have all the necessary ACPI stuff enabled in my BIOS but the Linux kernel is complaining about "bad ACPI data" when it attempts to enable powernow.

I don't know about cool'n'quiet, but the cpufreq driver for NForce4 posted on 2cpu.com works for me, I can set voltage and frequency.

I don't know about cool'n'quiet, but the cpufreq driver for NForce4 posted on 2cpu.com works for me, I can set voltage and frequency.

Thanks! Grabbed that one and it's up and running. I'm using it in conjunction with the 'cpuspeed' userspace daemon and it appropriately raises/lowers CPU frequency as the system's load changes.

It would be nice if it could adjust voltages on-the-fly as well. So far as I can tell, it can only set the CPU VID once when loading the driver. I don't see much drop in temperatures when the system slows from 280mhz HTT to 200mhz or lower. Presumably this is because it's still running at 1.45V instead of dropping back down to 1.35V or lower.

It would be nice if it could adjust voltages on-the-fly as well. So far as I can tell, it can only set the CPU VID once when loading the driver. I don't see much drop in temperatures when the system slows from 280mhz HTT to 200mhz or lower. Presumably this is because it's still running at 1.45V instead of dropping back down to 1.35V or lower.

Yeah, voltage control is difficult if you want the full control like the BIOS, and not only what the cool'n'quiet mechanism exports.

Windows clockgen doesn't have an easy time about that either.

It would be more useful for you to observe power consumption, not heat. At lower heat levels a good HSF can become very effective, so you are observing something that is being messed with.

• 1 month later...

So, after much tinkering and wondering what was going on, I think I found a possible solution to the segfualt which usually happens on the NF4 platform.

First, this is a hardware related segfault. It doesn't show up on the other K8 chipsets out there (from what I've read , anyway) and it's not new (the gentoo lists are full of them). Overclocking isn't the cause, because running at stock or underclocked speeds still leads to a segfault.

Secondly, even if the setup is stable under all the stress testing programs, this means nothing when compiling gcc-4. My own rig was "stable" running programs(Prime95 and etc) under WinXP, linux(32 and 64 bit) and FreeBSD(32bit).

The setting which made the difference:

DRAM resonse time: Normal

Now, smile :) because you can compile gcc-4 on your system.

I have found that gcc-4 will kindof compile with this setting on FAST, but it segfaults at different parts. Telling it to "make" gets it going again, only to segfault later at a different part. On FASTEST, it completely locks up the system (esp. if overclocked), regardless of the other settings.

Well, I hope that helps some...maybe a couple of others could try this and post back the results.