DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

My linux two cents worth - I can't imagine anyone who's computer saavy using WindozeXPuke. I am sooo tired of "taking a break" while I wait - yet again - for to reboot. Can I fix it? No, because M$ knows what best for me. Apparently virus' (virii???) and buggy undocumented, inefficent operating systems are what I need...

Here's a quote for you "Have you rebooted? OK, reinstall windows and try again."

Not that I can't break linux. But at least when it breaks, it's my fault, and I can usually figure it out and fix it. The BIGGEST problem with linux (any distro) is the void in support from hardware vendors, i.e. ANGRY_GAMES ATI issues. Once you get a grip on XFree86 you can fix that video problem. I've had Open GL accelerated on several ATI and NVidia products.

I personally like Mandriva (formally Mandrake). I have 10.1 running "stock" on my HP laptop with everything working including 1440x900 resolution, accelerated open gl, and wifi, - except the built-in media card reader (no support from the vendor even after hundreds of requests from HP owners). After initial install, my battery life more than doubled, which proves actual real-world value to the change.

I still consider myself a noob but I'm learning. I'm currently trying to fix the Marvel lan on my mobo - weird error concerning Vpd classes. Lots of info about it on the net but no fixes that work yet. As I type I am compiling a new kernel without acpi (it's a desktop machine but acpi defaults into the stock kernel) and hoping that fixes it.

I'm using Mandriva 2005LE but have 2006 sitting on the shelf waiting for my third hard drive to arrive. I am also playing with Knoppix 4 and trying to get Libranet 3.0 distros. I could install all four linux versions AND windoze on one 250 gig drive, but I'm playing around so much I am afraid I'll break it for good.

My ultimate goal is to get this thing solid and Ooooverclocked (still researching water cooling) and then network all my tivos into this box.

P.S. I still have an XP partition for my teen who is working with me to get all of our games working under linux.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My linux two cents worth - I can't imagine anyone who's computer saavy using WindozeXPuke. I am sooo tired of "taking a break" while I wait - yet again - for to reboot. Can I fix it? No, because M$ knows what best for me. Apparently virus' (virii???) and buggy undocumented, inefficent operating systems are what I need...

Here's a quote for you "Have you rebooted? OK, reinstall windows and try again."

Not that I can't break linux. But at least when it breaks, it's my fault, and I can usually figure it out and fix it. The BIGGEST problem with linux (any distro) is the void in support from hardware vendors, i.e. ANGRY_GAMES ATI issues. Once you get a grip on XFree86 you can fix that video problem. I've had Open GL accelerated on several ATI and NVidia products.

I personally like Mandriva (formally Mandrake). I have 10.1 running "stock" on my HP laptop with everything working including 1440x900 resolution, accelerated open gl, and wifi, - except the built-in media card reader (no support from the vendor even after hundreds of requests from HP owners). After initial install, my battery life more than doubled, which proves actual real-world value to the change.

I still consider myself a noob but I'm learning. I'm currently trying to fix the Marvel lan on my mobo - weird error concerning Vpd classes. Lots of info about it on the net but no fixes that work yet. As I type I am compiling a new kernel without acpi (it's a desktop machine but acpi defaults into the stock kernel) and hoping that fixes it.

I'm using Mandriva 2005LE but have 2006 sitting on the shelf waiting for my third hard drive to arrive. I am also playing with Knoppix 4 and trying to get Libranet 3.0 distros. I could install all four linux versions AND windoze on one 250 gig drive, but I'm playing around so much I am afraid I'll break it for good.

My ultimate goal is to get this thing solid and Ooooverclocked (still researching water cooling) and then network all my tivos into this box.

P.S. I still have an XP partition for my teen who is working with me to get all of our games working under linux.

Did someone say Games!!! ID Games download.... and OpenGL games

You know what really would be nice is if DFI released a LinuxBios for the NF4 LanParty boards, now that would be slick!

I'm glad you mentioned Centos-- I checked it out and was happy to learn it is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. I downloaded the DVD and installed it under VMware as a guest OS-- it went in very easily. Centos includes SELinux (hardening originally created by NSA) and looks to be a very secure, complete distro for desktop, workstation, or server.

thanks Faheyd for the games links. We've been setting up Cedega/Transgaming so I can play Warcraft and Warloads and my son plays Workd of Warcraft. I'd like to get Battlefield 1942 and some newer games like that running too. Hitman 2 is next on my list to setup!

Guest culinist
hehehe...

I got a native 64 bit LinuxFromScratch up and going on my A64 rig...

:) :)

some things are now noticably faster...

What kind of speed increases are you seeing? I find 64bit much quicker as far as programs opening and such, but the real speed increases that i have experienced come when encoding, or compiling.

hehehe...

I got a native 64 bit LinuxFromScratch up and going on my A64 rig...

:) :)

some things are now noticably faster...

u should have tried Gentoo which is much easier in handling of the software ( upgrading and installing ) than LFS but still u get the same speed

:P:p:p:angel:

speed increases...well, I haven't done any real tests, but I can tell you that encoding an anime dvd mencoder was reporting between 40-60 fps (lavc) and 15-30 fps (xvid).

It might just be all in my head...

creating an mp3 or ogg file takes about 30s for a 3 minute song.

And compiling...well I never guessed I would ever compile a kernel (and modules) in about 5 minutes.

I tried Gentoo, but ran into problems which I didn't know how to fix (because I'm not that familiar with it). In fact, it was the same problems for LFS and gentoo I found (which I eventually figured out)

1. 2.6.12 kernel has a bug which showed up on a pure A64 system. fixed by changing to the latest kernel. But diagnosing that was not easy.

2. gcc-4 needed to have the build/target triplet explicitly added to ./configure

I like Gentoo's package management system, but for now I have opted for one of the LFS ways: "It's all in my head" ;)

well, i hope it's in there...

Triple boot, as in my sig: XP64, Fedora Core 4 (both i386 and x86_64). Using it for game server development, on the Linux side, and just gaming on the XP side. XP64 seems to be worse for finding drivers than Linux. I still don't have a DVD burner program on the Windows side. I need to figure out how to flash a new BIOS, as I've no floppy. Gotta find out if the Winflash stuff works with XP64. It would be nice if the BIOS was released on a bootable image one could dd to a USB memory stick.

Triple boot, as in my sig: XP64, Fedora Core 4 (both i386 and x86_64). Using it for game server development, on the Linux side, and just gaming on the XP side. XP64 seems to be worse for finding drivers than Linux. I still don't have a DVD burner program on the Windows side. I need to figure out how to flash a new BIOS, as I've no floppy. Gotta find out if the Winflash stuff works with XP64. It would be nice if the BIOS was released on a bootable image one could dd to a USB memory stick.

You can go to boot disk.com or use the boot disk in the bbios factory sticky for a CD rom..but why not just use winflash in XP32

I've only XP 64, not 32. Does Winflash work in 64-bit XP? I'd suspect not, given that it's likely to be hardware-dependent and need some kind of driver when installed. I could be wrong about that, though.

My bad I misread your post. I would not use 64 to update there are plenty of other options as in previous post.