DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest culinist

The main reason that I stick with Ubuntu/Debian is the package management. I have never had any luck with RPM based distros such as SUSE, Mandrive(Mandrake), or Fedora. I always end up in dependency hell, for some reason or another. Apt based distros have always handled dependencies better than RPM based for me. Not that these are bad distros or anything, and I know quite a few people who swear by them. I't's just that they are not the ones i feel comfortable with.

soundx,

Trying out linux is just like anything else you need to find out what is the best fit for you. Trying the live cd's is a good place to start, but you will never know how they "fit" you until you try them out installed. Begin adding packages to the base installation, to see how they work, cuz we all know that the beauty of Linux is in it's free software. If you can't easily access such software then what good is it.

They all have their strong and weak points. Just gotta find out what is important to you.

The new release of ubuntu, is by far the best prebuilt linux distro i have found so far. It even detected my HP Officejet All in One printer and configured the scanner automagically, ATI was a breeze, all multimedia codecs installed easilly, and Gnome 2.12 is really sweet. It is so good that i have forsaken my beloved Debian for it and have it installed on all my computers now. If i were to run a server i would still use Debian, but for desktops, it's ubuntu all the way for meat the moment.

Plus you just can't go wrong with a forum and community like ubuntus www.ubuntuforums.org

Just my thoughts as I wake up from my afterwork nap ;)

Scott

gawd how I love naps :nod:

I work 6 days a week so a Sunday nap is something I always try and sneak in.

30 min to 2 hours. Anything I can do to pull it off. Just so long as it's sometime Sunday.

I've been messing with 64bit Linux but maybe I need to devote an NF2 to it.

I'm on my Silverstone now. Jebus, this SOB is fast. maybe it's up for the challenge.

Thanks for the input bro!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the stock kernel, which is pretty recent. Very stable and reasonably quick, and very easy to install. Prior to this, I used RedHat Linux versions 5.1 through 9.0, and have messed around with Gentoo, Debian, Slack, and a few others. Yes, I remember when you had to install it about five times to get it right, and when getting X-Windows to work was a miracle, almost at the same plane as getting your modem to dial out. Through it all, the various flavors have been incredibly stable, secure, and versital. To this day, no two installations are the same.

Time for a new computer-- I'd like to try some 64-bit flavors, and give VMWare a little more room for guest OSes. I'm looking at the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR with 2GB (2X1GB) of OCZ Platinum. Still trying to figure out which PCI-e video card to get-- I tend to favor Nvidia for their Linux driver support.

Oh, yeah-- this box has been windows-free for five years, and every time I get home from work, I have to kick my daughters off my PC. They think the games are better than Windows' and it rips and burns music better too.

CentOS Rocks!

Got Quake4 running on it too with the Nvidia proprietary OpenGL drivers.

Uses a 2.6.9-22 SMP kernel. All my USB devices show up fine. Security is a little tight, but that's OK. Sensors work, but I had to modify the sensors.conf file quite a bit, if you need my copy, just email me and i'll send it to you, and you can compare the changes I made to it.

GKrellem works OK too. Gkrellm

Centos uses the Gnome desktop by default, I'm normally use the KDE, but Gnome works fine too.

3DDesktop works also.

In fact, alot of things work that didn't before.

Because it uses a X86_64smp kernel, some packages may not be compiled for it yet, but everyday more and more packages are ready to be installed.