DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AG:

I'm on the linux box again 5.10 Ubuntu Breezy Badger (how gay is that name?)

Warty Warthog

Hoary Hedgehog

Breezy Badger

Dapper Drake....... Next release in six months.

I think the Afrikaners got a sense of humor we don't understand.... hehe

Been running Hoary for a couple of weeks now and just installed Breezy on a spare partition just last night..... Love the challenge of learning something new, but a bit of a learning curve for an old point and click windows guy..... quite honestly though I am quite impressed with the OS overall, although as a friend said tonight "just a little quirky" LOL,

To say the least! Been spending hours on end on the Ubuntu forums digging out the info I need to optimize the instalation.

AG glad to see someone else getting their brain kicked in by this linux sheet ....j/k

I think Breezy is going to be awesome once it goes final, and all the tweaks, scripts, and "How To's" get updated by the regulars!

Have fun buddy!

Guest culinist

Glad to see ya runnin with the Penguines Oldfaht. I agree Breezy is gonna be sweet, I'm runnin it right now and it's been stable as hale. Like you said, I'm waitin on the forums to get goin on tweakin her out, although most of the Hoary tweaks apply. I'm running amd64 and she's pretty dang quick, still not as quick as a pure Debian64 but nice.

Heh, Linux has been kickin my brains in for a year now. I'm just now starting to reallize how much i don't know.

This thread and just plain ole curiosity finally got the best of me. That and for a future, soon to be implemented bussiness venture, I am going to have to set up http, ftp, and mail servers, and we sure as hale cant afford what's on Uncle Bill's menu. So I'm off on the quest to find the linux way. It all seems so simple and much more logical, but I think our minds get boged down with having having done things the M$ way for so long.

Whatever, I have been learning html, and working on a bud's mac dual G-5, so running on Ubuntu just feels so much more comfortable to me now, hehe I just don't log on to windows much since I installed linux. I guess I just like beating my head against a brick wall... LOL I do really like the prospect of NOT having to pay Uncle Bill to be able to run my rigs in the future.

Ready for the "average joe's" desktop? Maybe not quite yet, but from what I'm seeing in Ubuntu, it's getting damn close, the way they are implementing/automating updates, instalation of programs, etc. works well, I think as the user base gets larger, more native drivers will be provided by the hardware manufacturers. It just can't get anything but better and better. As for your average tweaker, jes, anybody who does the research and due dilligence....can get along fine. On top of it all: I find the community support, Ubuntu, and all around the Linux World, to be outstanding.

Reminds me of a place I call Home (DFI-Street) Good people trying to help others to get it on!

Ahhhhh enough of my BS

Hey AG you having any luck yet?

CentOS works fine on my 4400 X2 cpu. The Nvidia drivers work on my GPU.

If you need help with your xorg.conf, I can help, just PM or email me.

Do not 'autologin' or 'auto start X windows' upon installation until you get your system straight. After you get everything working, then you can get lazy and do all that 'auto' crapola.

http://www.centos.org/

still no 3d Acceleration *sigh*

I will kill this install, get the 32-bit Ubuntu, and then put it on an AthlonXP setup and maybe just let it sit there for another 2 years until Linux gets better (without 3d acceleration right out of the gate, its a useless operating system, and I don't have another 36 hours to fight with the damn thing to get it working...which it still does not)

AG get urself debian AMD 64 it works perfect you wont have to deal with the crap that is Ubuntu plus you will be much happier in the end. Also for 6600GT works easily under linux. Use the nvidia linux installer or the special debianized kpkg for nvidia kernel modules. It works super fine. I have my dual monitor setup working perfect. The nvidia driver readme is a real pleasure to read.

Also check your xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 and made sure you have the

Load "GLX"

in the moules section.

To make things a bit easier to understand think of every device in linux as a file. When you play a music file under linux the program sends the out put to /dev/mixer (or something similar) when you delete a file in unix it moves the file to the device /dev/null. Due to these features unix is very network friendly you can with a bit of a trickery export displays and keyboards over the network thereby taking control of someone elses machine or letting someone else use the machine

If someone wants I can post my xorg.conf and modules files form my debian amd 64 sid

ill download Debian but I fear the same thing will happen...it will install perfectly but I won't get any 3d acceleration

btw, when i first setup Ubuntu again with a 6600GT, the screen was so corrupted that i had to go to command line, and I DID install the Nvidia drivers...after an hour of fooling with the damn thing, I got the nv logo and it booted to the desktop (Gnome).

but

still no 3d acceleration

this is unacceptable

well...after searching around a bit...I've decided that i'm not even going to bother since I can't find an iso for Debian AMD64...maybe one day linux nerds that make these things will realize that they cannot compete with Windows until they figure out how to make it work correctly, make it easy to use, and put up a damn link where you can just go get the distro you want without trying to decipher which one of the 100 files you want (and none of them were full cd images, yet the place i found full cd images didn't say they were for AMD64 systems).

so for my final answer...linux still sucks compared to windows when it comes to ease of use and installation and function. It may be a trillion times more powerful and stable...but it is too complex and no one will buy complex, which is why Windows dominates the pc market.

I know I am smart. I am not stupid. But when guys like me give up in disgust, that should tell you something about it. I've spent over 48 hours trying to get 3d acceleration to work, i've typed in a thousand commands, followed directions from about 20 sites and even worked with culinist, and still...it doesn't work. Too bad, I was really ready to give linux a good workout.

Maybe in 2 more years it will be 10% better (it only seems to graduate 10% every two years in my estimation...so maybe in 10 years it will actually be easy enough for any moron to install and use...but by then Windows will have evolved into a bigger piece of bloatware but any drooling moron could install it and get to playing games and such)

come on how hard is googling "debian amd64" the first link gives the amd 64 debian

http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoffici...d64-netinst.iso

this is the netinstall cd it installs base system and then install restof the system over the internet of if you want the whole cd then

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoffici...e-amd64/iso-cd/

only cd 1 is needed to install