random restart overclock question

AlanD911

How is it that a system can be prime95 stable and memtest86 stable and then still randomly reboot in a video game? On my bro's computer with the x2 3800+ it is 24 hour prime95 stable and memtest stable yet it still reboots in video games. Is there any solution to this?

Looking at your sig and OC'ed at just 2.4 I think it would not have any problems. Somebody asked the same question before and there was a thread about it but I can't seem to find it. If I can remember correctly it was pointed out that prime95 and other OC'ing utilities are just something to test the OC when achieved, not a guaranty that you will not have problems. I did have the same problems with my X2 Winchester, after getting stable at 2.65 with more than five times I ran prime 95, I still had problems when playign games. Exroadie pointed out that you should reinstall OS when you are satisfied and done with you OC, I did and never had any problems since. Along the way you will also need to reinstall vid card drivers. Try it out, I hope it helps.

I dont think it's a video card problem because it's not overclocked at all. I really dont want to reinstall the OS. Something that I found interesting was that at first I was running with an overclock of 2.4 with 1.3 cpu voltage. I then slowly increased the voltage and the game would not longer freeze in the same area, however it then started to restart after several hours of gameplay. Does this sound like a cpu voltage issue?

Your system looks pretty rock solid, I also used an XP120 and had good cooling with 1.6 vcore. Have you tried a different vid card just to see if it still reboots? Other than that I can't see any other reason for the random reboots knowing that you are already prime stable.