Memtest looping test 5 no error, tes 8 giving errors, what gives ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL well now both our a$$e$ are on the line KIt, LOL its even possible to remove the giga lan rom from the bios but i am unsure about how the bios as a whole would react to a possible needed rom missing, i would be personaly more happy just disabling the sucker in the cmos.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, thanx for the suggestions, after doing some tinkering, i think i've found the weak link in my system. One of the mem sticks is rather weak compared to the other one. The strong one, can do FSB 265 in single channel mode (running alone) while the weak one already gives up at FSB 230 single channel. That's on tight memory timings setting and 3.3V VDimm.

Now, my friend offers me a pair of oldschool BH5 that can run FSB 255 dual channel, can i try mixing them with my stronger CH5 stick to work in dual channel mode ? I mean, putting the KHX BH5 pair in slot 1 & 2, then putting the UTT CH5 in slot 3 ?If it can run, could it be done with tight timing (2-2-2-11 1T) setting ?

Thanx in advance :)

They may work, but because there is such a difference between the two types of ram i think it could be very problematic. The reason for saying that, is that the Alpha's for BH5 are substantionally different from the Alpha's for UTT-CH5 and getting a happy medium between the two just might not be possible. One thing is for certain though, you will not be able to run at 1t with three sticks of ram in.

Guys, if i want to flash this Infinity with LPb BIOS, is the procedure still the same as in flashing with its own BIOS ? I mean, the command line in the AWDFLASH utility is still the same ?

On the other hand, if i have two identical mem sticks in which each can reach FSB 260 in single channel mode, what kinda performance i could expect out of them in dual channel mode ? Say, 10-15 MHz drop of stable clock in FSB ?

Guys, if i want to flash this Infinity with LPb BIOS, is the procedure still the same as in flashing with its own BIOS ? I mean, the command line in the AWDFLASH utility is still the same ?

On the other hand, if i have two identical mem sticks in which each can reach FSB 260 in single channel mode, what kinda performance i could expect out of them in dual channel mode ? Say, 10-15 MHz drop of stable clock in FSB ?

Yes you can flash with an LPB bios and use the same switches. Just be aware that you need to disable Gigabyte Lan in the bios, because the Infinity dose'nt have it.

As for the ram, 250 would be what i would be looking for, maybe a bit more.

Yes you can flash with an LPB bios and use the same switches. Just be aware that you need to disable Gigabyte Lan in the bios, because the Infinity dose'nt have it.

As for the ram, 250 would be what i would be looking for, maybe a bit more.

Thanx for the info about BIOS flashing, very appreciated !! awesomework.gif

Then, about the RAM, so indeed there will be a slight drop, but not that significant, right ? Because i have an offering from a friend for a stick of his TwinMOS 512 MB AA4T (UTT CH5) that goes for sale. The stick can run at 260 MHz tight timing single channel mode on DFI NF2U LPb MoBo, and i have another identical TwinMOS stick that can run about the same speed. If i could combine 'em both and reach 250 MHz in dual channel mode, i'll be flying in heaven and tossing cheers.gif with U !! :D

Go for it Spurs, you won't regret it. I'm not familiar with that ram but as i said 250 looks doable, you may or may not be limited to 2t though it depends on you mobo.

I'd rather go for 1T, even if it means having just around 230-235 FSB. I get information that this DFI MoBo doesn't like 2T on CPC setting -the performance drop is very significant. But then, using a piss poor Apacer RAM 512MBx2 it can go up to 229 MHz in FSB while maintaining 1T (yes, timing is nothing to be brag about, 2.5-3-4-11), i don't see why it can go a bit further with these TwinMOS sticks that have Winbond UTT CH5 on it.

By the way, what is the best alpha timing for Winbond UTT CH5 in the form of these TwinMOS RAM sticks ? Right now, i'm running 2-3-3-3-3-4-5 in the Hellfire BIOS.............TwinMOS AA4T that i use or gonna buy is a value one, the chips are relabeled as MTec with the end tag of 50D. They use Hsien-Jinn 6 layers PCB.

Was just browsing the thread, someone mentioned active cooling on the ram. I usually visualize active cooling being associated with a fan or watercooling & passive being associated with just a heatsink/heatspreader/heatpipe anything that doesn't have to be moved/powered to cool.

Just for my own information what are you refering to when you say better active cooling for ram? Is it a fan blowing over them, or better airflow? If there is a strange device besides a heatspreader what do you recommend? I've always heard the ram runs cool enough to not really need a heatspreader anyway and watercooling ram is just a waste of your waterflow and more or less just to show off. I'm very interested what can be done to help the memory perform better.