Sign in to follow this  
hadesboy2

Problem with DFI serial Port Header

Me too, i'm using a com bracket to connect the IrDa Receiver and it's working normally.

try changing the c ommunication speed of the com port in the device manager, windows default is 9600bps.

not sure this will be relevant, but I've gotten stung by it before.

There are at least two commonly used 'serial port header' cables that go from the mobo header to the 9pin D connector.

One is wired as follows. This is just using press on connectors. It's the most common one available. It's also usually not the one you need.

header D-9

1 1

2 6

3 2

4 7

5 3

6 8

7 4

8 9

9 5

10 -

The other is wired as follows:

header D9

1 1

2 2

3 3

4 4

5 5

6 6

7 7

8 8

9 9

10 -

I don't know which DFI uses, as I haven't had a requirement for a serial port yet on this box.

Good luck.

Yeah weird, I'm having the same problem. COM1 is showing in Device Manager but my rig can't communicate with the device (a battery backup UPS).

The cable the DFI uses is not wired differently from the "usual" spec, as for Example Epox is...

I tried first with my cable that works on my Epox, not looking at the pinlayout and it did not work, so I cut the cable off and crimped it on "just using press on connectors" and it worked just fine... Using it to control one of my UPS units... Oh, and this is on a DFI Expert

Take a multimeter and measure resistance between pin1 on the header to pin1 on the connector and so on, they should be "one on one" i.e. 1-1 2-2 3-3 etc etc

not sure this will be relevant, but I've gotten stung by it before.

There are at least two commonly used 'serial port header' cables that go from the mobo header to the 9pin D connector.

One is wired as follows. This is just using press on connectors. It's the most common one available. It's also usually not the one you need.

header D-9

1 1

2 6

3 2

4 7

5 3

6 8

7 4

8 9

9 5

10 -

The other is wired as follows:

header D9

1 1

2 2

3 3

4 4

5 5

6 6

7 7

8 8

9 9

10 -

I don't know which DFI uses, as I haven't had a requirement for a serial port yet on this box.

Good luck.

afabco, you are right on. The pinout DFI uses requires the standard 1-1, 2-2, .. ribbon cable to be modified per your first example. I just about gave up until I read your post. I compared the DFI pinout to the EPOX 8RGA and modified my serial ribbon cable. Now my serial port works as COM 1 and I can use my ARC 250 Pro program to operate my Uniden BC 296 Scanner. Thank you very much. Merry Christmas