Sign in to follow this  
mrtell

cold boot reason?

Thinking of getting the Expert.

Is the cold boot problem only a result of not having the right PSU or is it down to a multiple of reasons.

There will be NO problem at ALL with certain power supplies as is my experience. You make up your mind to 'buy' the board and send me a list of the power supplies you are considering since you are on other side of pond and I will look and see if you have the correct one picked.

RGone...

Thinking of getting the Expert.

Is the cold boot problem only a result of not having the right PSU or is it down to a multiple of reasons.

Thank you.

Will get back to you.

i have cold boot porblem

fix with a .22uf cap soldered on front case button

(make sure you get polarity right- or boom.?)

my psu is with spec (2.0 atx sinteck 600w peak 702w) 24 pin

iv been talking with an enginerr/doc friend of mine-

+5v + bounce clamp draw problem we think-

due to mb (not psu) very high draw on stand by voltage)

the cap reduces bounce (decrease wave responce time) help psu-main board work together better- not a 100% fix as main board can still have a high draw (from quick on off with 10min from standby.

will look into futer with friend.

95% cap quick fix works.

mboard tollerances - + psu tollerances differ even from /on production line-

overall board design flaww (or better say ) it would be better it it was designed to work with a 400w psu version 1.3 atx spec 24pin 4pin p4 - psu unit..

THEN ANY PSU +450W+ WOULD WORK..

HENCE NO PROBLEMS..

IE LIKE OTHER MOTHERBOARD MAKERS THAT MAKE USING NF4 CHIPS..

-

BUT THEY DOO MAKE V VERY GOOD CLOCKING BOARD.

EVEN IF YOU DID NOT CLOCK-- STILL A GOOD BOARD + 8 SATA ETC..

!st choice

Not that I like modular power supplies but is this suitable :

Enermax 620W Liberty Modular Power Supply - ELT620AWT

Dual 12v rails 2x22 Amp 12v combined 36 Amp.

I read that dual 12v rails are a better design than quad rails ???

600w Seasonic S12-600 , think I read of an issue with these PSU's though.

700W FSP Epsilon FX700GLN

660W Enermax EPS12V EG851AX-VH

600W FSP FX600-GLN Epsilon

thank you .

In the order of your post.

Enermax 620W Liberty Modular Power Supply - ELT620AWT > NOPE...

600w Seasonic S12-600 > NOPE...

700W FSP Epsilon FX700GLN > NOPE... not sure so NOPE is my answer.

660W Enermax EPS12V EG851AX-VH > I will have to check. Not sure how it is constructed...

600W FSP FX600-GLN Epsilon > NOPE...

You have GOT to remember that we are talking about as little chance of not working as we can be sure of. So I am not lightly giving the nod. Understood? I hope so since I am trying to put you where it is 99% a fact of working.

In your actual post below you mention the Seasonic but you make the disclaimer along with it that "they" have had problems. You are correct! That is the reason I am NOT saying that at this exact moment my A2 Seasonic 600 watt supply is powering my "expert" without issue. The rails are low. No internal pot to adjust. Would not be "my" personal choice. IMO. See, I do not like to deal in variables and what ifs, if I can personally help it. Speculation is just some more BS to me.

So let me see if I can find out anything about the 660W Enermax EPS12V EG851AX-VH for you as I so far it is the only likely candidate I saw you post.

Ok there is a great deal going on in the background that is unknown to you. Will remain so until I get a valid answer.

RGone...

!st choice

Not that I like modular power supplies but is this suitable :

Enermax 620W Liberty Modular Power Supply - ELT620AWT

Dual 12v rails 2x22 Amp 12v combined 36 Amp.

I read that dual 12v rails are a better design than quad rails ???

600w Seasonic S12-600 , think I read of an issue with these PSU's though.

700W FSP Epsilon FX700GLN

660W Enermax EPS12V EG851AX-VH

600W FSP FX600-GLN Epsilon

thank you .

660W Enermax EPS12V EG851AX-VH Good gawd man I would not pay that much for that power supply. Even if it worked. HEhehehe.

OK let me see if I can cut to the chase. I have this exact power supply and it works on ALL three of my EXPERT boards. Fine in fact and better rails than I have seen on some $200.00 supplies.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817709004

Now this is what will happen though; YOU cannot get that supply in the UK!!! They make you get PFC approved suppies because of the wide variation in your input supply voltage to your homes/offices. So over there if you find one "similar" to the one I have it WILL be this one with PFC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817709003

No clue what the second one shown will cost over there. Not sure exactly if PFC will queer/skew the results for your user environment. But d*mn do you see that reasonable price for sale in the US? I hope they can maintain QA at that most freeken reasonable price.

So now you have a reasonablely price supply if available your location. If you can hold off for a little longer and let the winds blow some of the dust away; it might be to your advantage. Maybe don't know. Don't know your 'expectations' as a system intergrator cum user. I will make contact today to see if I can get a PFC version of the supply I am speaking of at this time and see how it works at least in the US. I have done all I know to advise you correctly.

RGone...

RGone...

Yep you are right, they do not sell those PSu's in the UK.

I am willing to compromise though, maybe I should go for the

NF4 SLI-DR or even the NF4 Ultra-D. :confused: :confused: :confused:

There will be NO problem at ALL with certain power supplies as is my experience. You make up your mind to 'buy' the board and send me a list of the power supplies you are considering since you are on other side of pond and I will look and see if you have the correct one picked.

RGone...

RGone should a PC Power and Cooling T51ASL work? I am having similar issues. Their tech support said it should work. Or is there another model of theirs I should be looking at?

And what should I be looking for in a power supply? amperage of 5VSB, cross railed 12V?

Thank you in advance!

Yea, I'm still confused as to what to do about a PSU also, but I'll e-mail or PM my questions.

I DO have a little bit more information about Seasonic, though.

I called their tech dept. in Calif. last Friday (2-4-06) and spoke to an engineer (although there was a little language gap).

He advised that that, yes, they ARE aware of a cold boot problem with the Expert board - even with the Rev 2 of the S12 500W - 600W supplies.

He did not know when the Rev. 3's might be out, as marketing was holding things up/working things out?

He also said they would have a modular design out sometime mid-2006.

Just passing on what I heard.

This > And what should I be looking for in a power supply? amperage of 5VSB < that and ALL they make; like 3amps or so. Which ain't going to happen right now. I just put the .22uf cap across my power switch on my OCZ 600 watt Power Stream and mine will NOT even start with that capacitor but once every 15 or 20 times. I guess the OCP circuit is set right on the low side. Dang it.

RGone...

RGone should a PC Power and Cooling T51ASL work? I am having similar issues. Their tech support said it should work. Or is there another model of theirs I should be looking at?

And what should I be looking for in a power supply? amperage of 5VSB, cross railed 12V?

Thank you in advance!

You said "their" tech said it 'should' work. But IS it? I think it should. My early one does but my 600Watt OCZ powerstream still does not even after putting the .22ufd cap across the start button.

I just put my early SLI version with only the P4 12V 4Pin [::] type connector called the T51X SLI and like I said it is the early version SLI because the ASL has the 8 pin EPS12V [::::] connector and my early PCPower & Cooling 510works fine since it has 3.0A on the +5vStandby.

RGone...

Thank you in advance!

Sign in to follow this