Sign in to follow this  
keichan82

Not recognizing SATA hard drives!!

I have the exact same issue , odd thing is even if I disconnect the current HD Bios will not detect the new drive. I am starting to believe its a bad drive ........

Do any of your drives have jumpers? And if so are they properly configured?

I set everything to default no go. I was wondering, are jumpers necessary? I dont have jumpers on the storage drives. :confused:

To properly answer your question you need to visit the website of the drive manufacturer and check the jumper setting recommendations.

However, if your drives are brand new, and did not come with any jumpers then I'd say they apparently aren't necessary for those particular drives.

To properly answer your question you need to visit the website of the drive manufacturer and check the jumper setting recommendations.

However, if your drives are brand new, and did not come with any jumpers then I'd say they apparently aren't necessary for those particular drives.

It didn't come with them. Arggg.. Dont know what to do now!!

im having the same problem. i just tried to install 2 additional WD 250mb sata drives and nothing is showing up in disk management. if i hot swap the cable i get the standard windows ding-dong about new hardware and it says it is installed and ready to use, however still nothing showing up anywhere. i do know that certain mobos have problems reading sata2 drives and you can jumper the 5 & 6 pins to revert the drive back to sata1. i am going to try that next. - never mind, not the issue. if anyone has any other input i would really appreciate it.

ok im sorry for comandeering your post here guy, but there seems to be several people with the same problem. sata slots are enabled, and i am running raid0 properly and have for a long time. these new sata drives that i just now plugged in are simply not showing up. the one place i have seen them is in the "safely remove hardware" tab so i can safely remove them i suppose. ha! but they are not in device manager, and they are not in disk management. another thing i find interesting is that if i try to enter the raid utility in bios by pressing or f4 like it suggests, i get the message "no device detected- utility disabled!" and it proceeds to reboot normally. at the f10 prompt to enter raid setup, it just skips by also, but with no message. keep in mind im not trying to set up another array i just want to be able to use the 2 new sata drives, and that my os is installed on a working 0 array. i am totally stumped, but i am POSITIVE that there is a way to get this to work, we just need to figure it out.

ok i got it sorted out. first thing i did, and i dont know if this is mandatory or not cause i didnt check the files first, was install the newest nf4 chipset drivers i got off nvidias website, 6.70 i believe. then after installing that i found a file called NvRaidMan.exe. on my machine it was located here: C:NVIDIAnForceWin2KXP6.70IDEWinXPraidtool. this showed me my active striped array and below that my currently unused disks. i then set up a spanned array with the 2 new disks and hit finish. after when i opened disk management it immediately prompted me to partition and format my new drive. which is showing up at one 465gb volume. (i know its normal for there to be less actual space available than the nice round number printed on the drive, although 35gb seems like a lot to pad for the sake of rounding up) i am formatting now and i will check back when i get home from work to see if this works out for anyone else.

Thanks for the help. Im going try your suggestion when i get home.

I did however already updated the bios.

Do I need to install the drivers from the Western Digital websit for the hard drive?

also, when I update the bios should I update all 3 blocks or just teh main one?

Thanks

not bios. nforce 4 chipset drivers. get them off nvidias site. and i didnt install anything from western digital at all. you may not even need to update the chipset drivers really, you could just check the file path i listed a few posts ago for the file "NvRaidMan.exe" if its there then no big deal just run the one youve got already.

Did you guys load the third party RAID/ SATA controlers before windows install? Sounds like a driver issue.

Oh and SCSI's are the only ones that tell you the exact HDD size. Bits are multipied in increments of 8 not 10 thats why you get short changed on HDD space. They just round the number up. Is'nt that nice of them.