Sign in to follow this  
Llamadonk

Cannot get raid to rebuild right

I had my Asus Mobo and some Crucial Ram kick the bucket when I had a fan get too hot and short some things out (at least I'm guessing thats what happened). I purchased a DFI LanpartyUT nF4 SLI-D and RMA'd the ram. Now that I have everything back, I'm having problems getting my Raid 1 re-set up correctly. There was data on the Raid before, data that I can't stand to lose because it has everything for school and work on it.

Everything works until I get into Windows. I find a new volume in Disk Management, initialize it as a simple volume, set a drive letter, etc. However, it asks me to format the volume, even though I know I already have data on it. Is there any way I can set the Raid back up the way it was before or rebuild it? I really don't want to have to reformat and lose everything.

I had my Asus Mobo and some Crucial Ram kick the bucket when I had a fan get too hot and short some things out (at least I'm guessing thats what happened). I purchased a DFI LanpartyUT nF4 SLI-D and RMA'd the ram. Now that I have everything back, I'm having problems getting my Raid 1 re-set up correctly. There was data on the Raid before, data that I can't stand to lose because it has everything for school and work on it.

Everything works until I get into Windows. I find a new volume in Disk Management, initialize it as a simple volume, set a drive letter, etc. However, it asks me to format the volume, even though I know I already have data on it. Is there any way I can set the Raid back up the way it was before or rebuild it? I really don't want to have to reformat and lose everything.

Did you just plug the Raid 1 set and boot with the Ultra-D? I'm assuming that you have only one partition that was mirrored. If yes, I think you only broke the raid 1 set and the mirrored drive is now showing up. Your data should be fine if you were able to boot up successfully. Just check your data.

If everything is alright, you can go back into the Nvidia raid bios and remirror the drives again. Follow the instructions exactly. Make sure you don't confuse the source drive and the target. You don't want to create a mirror of an empty drive.

Good luck

cjoe

I'm pretty sure it was on a Nvidia Raid before. I actually had two raids going on my old Asus A8N-SLI Premium. The one was on the Silicon(i think) raid and the other was on the Nvidia. I'm about 90% sure this was the one on the Nvidia. I installed the nf Raid drivers during the Windows install. Do I need to install any once in Windows? I used the same settings in the bios that were in the instructional walkthrough that Angry posted. Do I need to set an option so that the raid is non-bootable? I wasn't sure, as he was booting off the raid that he set up in the walkthrough.

Cjoe, it's not my boot drive, just the drive I store everything on. I can't see any of the data. Both drives should have everything on them if I'm not mistaken, but if there is a way to check without too much hassle I would like to do that before I remirror them. I did rebuild the array once in Nvidia Raid bios, but it didn't give me an option for a source drive as far as I could tell.

I'm pretty sure it was on a Nvidia Raid before. I actually had two raids going on my old Asus A8N-SLI Premium. The one was on the Silicon(i think) raid and the other was on the Nvidia. I'm about 90% sure this was the one on the Nvidia. I installed the nf Raid drivers during the Windows install. Do I need to install any once in Windows? I used the same settings in the bios that were in the instructional walkthrough that Angry posted. Do I need to set an option so that the raid is non-bootable? I wasn't sure, as he was booting off the raid that he set up in the walkthrough.

Cjoe, it's not my boot drive, just the drive I store everything on. I can't see any of the data. Both drives should have everything on them if I'm not mistaken, but if there is a way to check without too much hassle I would like to do that before I remirror them. I did rebuild the array once in Nvidia Raid bios, but it didn't give me an option for a source drive as far as I could tell.

If the raid volume was a NF4 raid volume, you don't need to go into the raid bios. The SLI-D should be able to mount that volume without issue. I done it several times between my NF4 boards. All you need to do is install the NF4 drivers and the volume should be visible in the disk management.

I'm sorry to tell you but I think you lost your data. From what I can tell, you probably plugged a previously formatted Silicon Image raid volume into a Nvidia raid system. Since these two systems are not compatible, the Nvidia raid could not read the Silicon Image raid volume and only saw a raw volume. When you initialized that volume, you accidentally wiped out your data.

If your volume was a Nvidia volume, you would have never been asked to initialize it. Whenever your computer asks you to initialize or format a partition, you have to always say no and do a reality check. If you have value your data, always disconnect those drives and hold off all activity until you're sure.

Sorry.

cjoe.

Damn. I had tried a few different things since I posted, and had kinda figured that might be the case.

Anywho, thanks Cjoe :)

Yeah, I can sympathize. We all make mistakes.

Several months ago, I had just built my LP Expert and had transferred my raid drives from my other NF4 box. I had OC'ed the machine but I had not stablized it yet. It was 4AM and I didn't backup my data before I started defragging my raid0 volume. After 4hrs and 80% completion, the machine rebooted. 400GB of data on the volume was corrupted. It had taken me 4yrs to collect and create that data.

Lessons learned: Never do anything when you're tired. You will take short cuts and make risky decisions that you would never make otherwise. Kinda of like drunk driving.

Insure that your system is rock stable before embarking on any undertaking.

Always make backups before you do anything that may jeopardize your data.

I knew better but didn't follow normal procedures. Really Stupid!!! Thank god, I had a 4month old backup; otherwise, I would be totally hosed.

cjoe