Sign in to follow this  
alesss

Modding the chipset cooler?

Hi, this is my first post and I'm sorry for my english. ;)

I read somewhere that's possible to mod the chipset stock cooler only by removing the heatsink higher part (the mask), doing that the temps and the noise goes down, is it true? Had anyone tried that? :confused:

What you want is to replace the TIM between the chipset and the heatsink. Check out Angry's thread

http://www.angrygames.com/chipset_clean-1.htm

Even better is to replace with Evercool VC-RE. I'm not sure if its available in Eurpoe but if you search the threads some other guys have posted similar solutions.

Thax for the thread, I haven't noticed it, very useful.

The Evercool is unavailable here, so, I'm going to try the Angry's solution. :nod:

Thax for the thread, I haven't noticed it, very useful.

The Evercool is unavailable here, so, I'm going to try the Angry's solution. :nod:

put a regular fan blowing on it too and turn down the temp in bios- cant even here it then.

What you want is to replace the TIM between the chipset and the heatsink. Check out Angry's thread

http://www.angrygames.com/chipset_clean-1.htm

Even better is to replace with Evercool VC-RE. I'm not sure if its available in Eurpoe but if you search the threads some other guys have posted similar solutions.

In this tutorial, Angry says to spread out the AS5 on the chipset. But in other threads he says to follow the directions and only use a tiny drop in the center of the CPU and let it spread out. Is this different?

Hi, this is my first post and I'm sorry for my english. ;)

Hey, your english is better than mine :D

Hmm, I don't think removing the top of the stock heatsink will make it have a better cooling performance, however I think the noise could be lowered a lot. I am using a diferent heatsink now and I remember trying the stock one outside, and to my suprise the thing was very quiet... of course I didn't use the top plate and it was in my hand, so the air didn't had any restriction going in or out.

In this tutorial, Angry says to spread out the AS5 on the chipset. But in other threads he says to follow the directions and only use a tiny drop in the center of the CPU and let it spread out. Is this different?

Boh, probably there's no difference, both the methods are good. Personally I use the "spread" mode cos you can put the right quantity of "the TIM" without any leakage :drool: .

Hey, your english is better than mine :D

:P hmmm...I'm not sure of that :D

Hmm2, today is a beautyful -2°C day, so, for better and xtreme cooling I could put my PC out, even without heatsink :D

Hmm2, today is a beautyful -2°C day, so, for better and xtreme cooling I could put my PC out, even without heatsink :D

Negative, you should have said "so, for better and xtreme cooling I could put my PC out, even with the stock heatsink :D". Its not about how cold the air is, but how well a surface can transmit its heat; a heatsink is still necesary, and you know that! :)

As for the Inglich, ar yu chure abaut dat? Me no inglich señor :P

Yes I know,that's absolutely true, but trust me today the air is not only cold, the wind is blowing like hell (when I came home I was like a snowman) and there should be only a small heatsink for good dissipation and air cooling. I have just to open the case and put it on the wind :rolleyes: - never, rather dead :nod: !

As for the Inglich, ar yu chure abaut dat? Me no inglich señor :P

Hehe, I live in Croatia but I'm italian, pueblo latino :cool: , and you know how is the italian english: "mi shpik ueri gut". Let's say that our english is similar, even if I think that your's better, you know, you're more then I under his influence.

Yes I know,that's absolutely true, but trust me today the air is not only cold, the wind is blowing like hell (when I came home I was like a snowman) and there should be only a small heatsink for good dissipation and air cooling. I have just to open the case and put it on the wind :rolleyes: - never, rather dead :nod: !

Hmm, I think I have to experience your winters to really know what you are talking about... yet, I lived in Toronto 8 years ago; lets say the word "cold" is way warm to describe it :)

Then on the contrary over here the summer can have melting temperatures, sometimes around 45° C... while winter can be really nice with down to -7° C. I fear this next summer, with all the global warming and everything... who knows how hot it will be :confused:

Hehe, I live in Croatia but I'm italian, pueblo latino :cool: , and you know how is the italian english: "mi shpik ueri gut". Let's say that our english is similar, even if I think that your's better, you know, you're more then I under his influence.

EWWWW!!!! Blessed are you for NOT being under the "influence"... :tooth:

Ohh, and btw... good luck on the WC for both Italia and Croatia (is that the way it is spelled???). At least this time neither one is in Mexico's group :)