zalman 9500 orientation

dstoff

I've got a 9500 on order along with 2gb dc gskill HZ ddr500 memory coming tomorrow. I'm just wondering if orienting the zalman to exhaust up into the power supply would help cool my memory also. if i have the 9500 exhausting toward the back, it doesn't line up exactly with the 120mm fan on the lanboy since the memory slots on the mb move the cpu socket lower. has anyone tried different orientation with the zalman 9500? Thanx.

The rear case fan is a 120, and the pwr supply fan is a 120. i figure the rear fan probably does exhaust better, but was wondering 2 things:

1. would there be a benefit to cooling the memory by having the 9500 blow up over the memory which would then go into ps, and,

2. has anybody tried the orientation both ways and found a difference?

I haven't tested this personally, but I would think you would be better off going in the opposite direction. The CPU is almost certainly generating more heat than the RAM so the air blown towards the RAM would be hotter than the air in the rest of the case. If you have the fan blowing away from the RAM, it will still draw in air from the RAM (though not as much) and effectively still move air over them without blowing CPU heated air towards them. But that is just theoretical, I don't have any tests to back that up.