internet keeps dropping out after 5-10mins

i just got everything working in my new rig (or so i thought) and up crops another issue:

after logging onto the net -i dont use a router or anything -just software firewall and my laptop is working fine no problems, after about 5-10 mins my internet connection just drops out, it still displays it as connected in the taskbar, but all sites timeout and any net traffic stops. strange.

so i checked my network drivers, everything seems ok. -> i noticed in my device manager that i am using the nforce networking controller as my only network adapter -is that right? i presumed it was a realtek chip, just like most other mobos.

anyway, i dont know what else to do -i thought it might be something in the bios, so i loaded up default values, still the same problem. any ideas?

i also noticed that i cant disconnect using the network icon in the taskbar either, it just seems to freeze. veery strange. its happened about 6-7 times now, including one machine_check_exception blue screen...

thx

Its pretty hard to guess what can be happening.

My last problems with Integrated Lan Cards were related to IRQ conflicts, mostly with SounBlaster Live.

Using the device manager choose the IRQ view and check what other device is sharing the IRQ with your LAN card IRQ.

Marcelo

Sorry, can't tell from your sig - are you running some sort of PCI wireless, or are you using onboard networking? What are you running when the network fails? It isn't something like a bittorrent client or eMule (ie. some sort of P2P) is it?

i cant see any irq conflicts in device manager. and yes i am using the onboard network controller -is there a realtek/marvell(?) driver i can use separately or do i have to use the nforce one? it crashes on just using msn or firefox, indeed anything. now i can't even logon to the net -it just hangs.

i tried to uninstall the nforce system drivers but that just hung too...now i have to switch off or reset my pc to reboot it....wtf?

my ram is about a year old -nothing wrong with it i dont think.

arggh this is annoying-thx for the suggestions tho, keep em coming! ;)