Intermittent Posting Problems Seeing 3/2 LEDS.. HELP

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and new to DFI products as well. My problems are as follows:

1) When booting my new system sometimes it does not post. I get either 3 diagnostic LEDs lit or 2 diagnostic leds , but mostly I get 3 leds , which indicates memory problems. I did manage to install Windows XP and also to run two instances of Prime95 (One per core) for 9 hours 10 minutes with no errors nor warnings. At this point I'm very puzzled. I have read that the memory I'm using may have problems but I'd like try as much as possible before doing the RMA thing. Any help would be more than welcome . My memory settings from the post screen are:

VDIMM=2.7 V; CL=3;TCL=3;TRCD=3;TRAS=8 Timing=1T

2) I am unable to get the system to power up using a USB keyboard, I have to use the power switch on the board. I have all 4 power connectors connected and I have moved jumper JP5 (USB Power Select) from pins 1-2 (5V) to 2-3 (5VSB) and changed BIOS settings to allow USB keyboard support and boot from usb . What am I doing wrong ?

Note: I have only connected the essential components to the system (Including hard disks and DVD drive)

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Best Regards,

Caspanis

Hi Again,

Anyone have any ideas ? I can live with item 2 but item 1 is a real humdinger. I actually had an ASUS A8n-SLI premium before (all other items the same ) and had random freezing and also intermittent posting problems , so I RMA'd the board ............ I'm now on my third RMA session with ASUS. So I bought this DFI thinking it was the cause of the motherboard.

Man, I feel to :sad: given what I've been through. So any suggestion/ help would be really really appreciated.

Best Regards,

Caspanis

have u run a memtest on both sticks independantly (in the orange slot furthest away from CPU) and together? I had problems with the ballistix and i could run primefor about 12hours+ before failing but memtest would fail almost instantly

Case,

Thanks for the reply, I haven't done that yet. I'll surely try when I get home from work. Questions:

1) For what period should the tests be run on each configuration ?

P.S.

Actually, I have used these same modules in a GigaByte NF3 board (GA-K8NS Pro) and they have worked flawlessly , while in that board I did over eight (8) hours of memtest on them with no errors . BUT this is a horse of a different colour :)

Will keep you posted with results !

Best Regards,

Caspanis

Just to add to the previous post...

I would find your exact model RAM in the Stock Speed Database, and manually input the timings. This way, you are not relying on the SPD info

In addition, I would run Memtest overnight to confirm stability. If it passes you are good to go. If it fails, you have a choice: either test each stick individually with memtest, or adjust mem timings/voltage.

If it fails, post back and we'll work through it

Good Morning All,

After following to the letter ( as much as is possible ) the bios settings in Angry Games' 2x1024 Crucial Ballistix (albeit on an expert board) settings the board refused to post at all. The system consistently went only as far as three (3) diagnostic leds lit.

I have done a CMOS reset thus enabling me to enter the bios again and I have started a memtest (BOIS) and have received a single error thus far. The test is running as I write this at the BIOS' "Optimized Default" settings. I'll report as soon as more is available. The test failed from memtest was test # 10 . Hope this info helps.

In general , the intermittent posting problem remains but I have only seen the 3 LED problem, not the two (2) led issue as the thread title indicates.

Any help / Advice / Suggestions / Prayers welcome.

Best Regards,

Caspanis

Hi,

I've got the same problem as you.. the only difference is that it almost everytime does not boot up and i have all the 4 diagnostic leds turned on.. (system boot up problem?!?! what does it means?!? anyway..)

Another thing I notice is that if I leave my system in that state (with 4 red leds on) after a while (a random period of time, from instant to never..) it DOES boot! I can't imagine why... When the PC boots, works very well.. prime and memtest stable..

I've tried booting up with only my video card, my cpu and my two sticks of corsair (2x512) but the problem persists.. anyway my Rams are the same for almost 2 years..

One thing I still haven't tried is plugging the FFD power source in the connector situated below the cpu.. Sometimes I tried booting up after plugging the HDD 4pin molex and it never changed anything..

Anyway, my pc is as follow:

- AMD A64 X2 3800+

- DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D

- 2x512 Corsair CH-5 PC3200

- Ati Radeon X300 SE (temporary solution.. :(:( )

- 2xWD Raptor 36GB + Maxtor 60GB Diamondmax 9