Prime Failure

After having my computer up for the last 3-4 days more or less constantly, I decided to check the state of things this morning by starting a prime run. I set everything up for dual core running (-a0 and -a1, and the affinity settings to match). Anyway, I noticed that prime crashes out within seconds on both cores.

This exact same setup (same RAM settings, same hardware, same config) has run prime stable for 8+ hours in the past, so i thought everything was ok... 3DMark01, 03 and 05 are all stable, and so is SuperPi 32M.

Is this something that I should worry about - or should I only really be attempting to prime from a fresh OS restart?

Cheers,

ganders

I don't think its your temps causing you the problem, your temps are nice actually. Try to restart your rig and check if you can prime for 2 or more hours. You might want to run memtest too to ensure stability.

After having my computer up for the last 3-4 days more or less constantly, I decided to check the state of things this morning by starting a prime run. I set everything up for dual core running (-a0 and -a1, and the affinity settings to match). Anyway, I noticed that prime crashes out within seconds on both cores.

I've probably got the same problem, prime gets errors from seconds to minutes..

But it's only one core that fails(CPU0)..

The system is stable in everything else exept prime on CPU0, quite weird huh? :confused:

@solle: No, I don't that's not weird at all. One core is pretty much always weaker than the other... Just the nature of the beast I reckon... You might have to back your OC down a touch, or increase V?

I'm memTest stable for 24hrs+ running all tests... No problems there.

Only thing is if I've left the machine on for a few days, bittorrent or whatever running and stuff like that, then I attempt to Prime - I fail both cores within seconds...

I guess my real question is - should I be worried or just accept it as stable? Can other people get their machines to Prime anytime - or do they always attempt it from a fresh OS startup?

Cheers,

ganders

running a bittorrent and priming or folding at the same time will always crash a comp...from my experience.

sometimes, a good stable oc, goes bad.....

many reasons could be the factor...corrupted os, cpu now needs more volts, ram needs more volts, psu is getting weak or old....

sometimes, the best thing to do, is just start from square one, even if it means a freash insatall, or just live with the fact it doessnt pass p95, but runs everything else fine.

this is just my opinion....i would do a complete fresh install.

haha - funny you should say that cause that is actually what I did just last week to see if that had anything to do with it. Not that big of a deal, as I have most of my stuff ready to go in a sep. partition anyway... Didn't make any difference what-so-ever... Hmm, I'll have to see if it will prime when I get back home later - it has been off all day today so i will be able to see if the install is still good or something has messed it up...

Thanks for the other suggestions - it is something to think about..

Cheers,

ganders

lol...ok since that made no difference....why not start back at basics, by forgetting what u think you know to be the max of your cpu and/or ram....and begin again.

i am sure you have read the oc'ing guide...if not, read it, and follow it step by step

let us know how u make out with this issue.....

i kind of have a similar prob....my known stable max on my cpu is/was 2.9....it passed p95 over 8 hours....now with some new mem, i can pass all tests except the dreaded torture test of p95.....so i am currently tweaking my ram, which i believe to be the reason, even though it passed memtest with no errors....

I have the same issue cpu 0 crashes within seconds cpu 1 runs 13hrs straight i stopped it,any suggestions, thanks.

opteron 175 1.6

g.skill ddr600

ocz 580 psu

yeah.... weird isnt it? :S

Do you have any other errors/problems, or is it only in prime?