Just got DFI Ultra B, can't make any changes in BIOS w/o corruption

Guest Darien_merged

I'm have to flash using my Abit NF2 board which uses a BIOS chip Identical to DFI chip 1. WINBOND W39V040AP

This 'should' work... but I've tried flashing from DFI boot floppy, DOS AWDFLASH.EXE, ABIT windows BIOS flasher and Winflash.exe.... every one of these programs except winflash won't allow me to flash because it says the BIOS in not compatable with my abit mobo... (DUH!)... and with winflash it gives me a warning....

All I can figure is that because I'm hot flashing on an Abit with winflash.exe it may be doing a less than perfect flash that won't allow any save changes.... ofcourse that still doesn't explain why I cant boot to windows or a floppy with the default settings?

You can not hotflash from Dos on your Abit, you must do it from Windows using Winflash. Winflash will give a warning, just ignore it and flash anyway. Once you get the bios chip back in your DFI then flash it again using the floppy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After burning you leave it in the drive, reboot and it starts up for ya.

What bios are you using dude?

It sounds like to me like it's a really old ver.

I allways had big issues with the older bios'es.

Upgrade to 619 or 728 at least, maybe even 1124.

You said stock bios...

That's why I say upgrade! ;)

Edit:

Your sig actually says: latest stock BIOS from DFI.com.

Man what the heck is that supposed to mean anyways...

Give us a real bios version yo ^^.

Another edit, lemme pick apart your sig here.. :

DFI NF2 Ultra B

AMD Barton Mobile 2500+ IQYHA

latest stock BIOS from DFI.com

OCZ plat. rev. 2 (2 x 512MB) TCC5 @ 2.5-2-2-11

Thermaltake Pipe101 copper HSF /w UFO cpu fan 81.2 CFM

Leadtek 6800LE - 128M (agp 1.65v, bus 99) Dual Fan Cooling Mod custom bios unlocked to 16/6 and 1.4vGPU, vRam mod 3.2v, 443/962

Modified Thermaltake Wingo V8000A case /w Damier Series Hardcano Controller

OCZ Powerstream 520W AdjSLI PSU - 3.3v rail @ 3.41v

Mad Dog 16x DVD Double Layer Burner

160 GB SATA - Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm

3Dmark 01 - 20544 / 03 - 12565 / 05 - 5369

CrystalMark 80,132

Mobile.., newer bios needed.

Stock bios thingy, whatever that means like I said above.

Tcc5, newer bios needed probably, reccomend 728, or mine.

The vga, 99mhz agp?, have you even tested it?

Clock it down for now, your pci bus is half that.

The vagp, are you runing more then 1.6v?, you probably don't need it, actually you don't need it....

The powerstream, looks good enough.

Dvd burner, I dn lol, I have no clue on that one, not an isue unless perhaps you're using the sw ide drivers, then maybe it's an issue.

SATA...., an issue with oc'ing, don't take over 260mhz fsb or something like that.

Nice 03 score lol.

:).

The agp clock like I said, clock down until you get EVERYTHING else out of the way.

After checking the actuall video card to see if it can handle it(doom3), check out stuff that uses your hd's and pci cards and such, alot, check it alot to make sure it's good.

The only reason you may need higher then the lowest vagp is for the higher gpu voltages on your card.

However you're not using that much voltage on that.

If you're using something like 1.5v, then I'd say 1.6v may be a good starting point.

If you had a gf4ti, I'd say from 1.6v to 1.7v(66-81, 81-100).

The older cards needed higher vagp for there memory only.

You don't need that 1.6v or 1.7v.

I know you don't ;).

Your memory is feeding off the extra power connector/s off the video card.

The fan however, this I dn realy, I don't have a fan on it.

So I suppose 1.6v maybe.

Remmember what I said about the pci bus being 1/2 of agp.

The tcc5, I make a bios, I use tcc5 myself.

However a good stock bios would be 728 or 1124.

I reccomend 728 for that mobile in combination with that tcc5.

May I ask why you need that much voltage on the +3.3v rail?

Curious...

You can not hotflash from Dos on your Abit, you must do it from Windows using Winflash. Winflash will give a warning, just ignore it and flash anyway. Once you get the bios chip back in your DFI then flash it again using the floppy.

Exactly, that's the plan... which has so far been unsuccessful I'm sorry to say. =(

You can not hotflash from Dos on your Abit, you must do it from Windows using Winflash.

I disagree with that statement as I have hotflashed on my NF7 using DOS more times then I care to remember.

And how the heck do I use Tmod's BIOS CD6.5!??!?!?

Is it a boot disc, I can't boot from CD with it no matter what computer I use it on.. there is no .exe file on it, I can't run it from windows... there is only 1 bin... he has a very indepth tutorial on how to burn the ISO... but WTH am I supposed to do with it once I burn it!?!?!

Well if it won't boot then you haven't read the tutorial and performed exactly what it says to do.

The ISO file is already bootable so just burn the ISO as a image and stick it in the drive.

If you try and burn it as a bootable disk it will NOT work.

Also you are correct in that both the Abit and the DFI use the same bios chips.

Tmod

After burning you leave it in the drive, reboot and it starts up for ya.

What bios are you using dude?

It sounds like to me like it's a really old ver.

I allways had big issues with the older bios'es.

Upgrade to 619 or 728 at least, maybe even 1124.

You said stock bios...

That's why I say upgrade! ;)

Edit:

Your sig actually says: latest stock BIOS from DFI.com.

Man what the heck is that supposed to mean anyways...

Give us a real bios version yo ^^.

Another edit, lemme pick apart your sig here.. :

Sorry,

That's from my old sig I didn't realize I left that in there...

needless to say I'm not trying any crazy shiz like 99AGP if I can't even restart after going to the bios and clearing my cmos jumper a d re-flashing the bios every time I do it...

EVERY SETTING I HAVE IS STOCK AFTER A FRESH CMOS CLEAR AND BIOS FLASH

not shouting at ya just wanted everyone to see that...

as for my BIOS.. it's N24LDB24.BIN...

I went to dfi.com and it's their most recent, newest, most updated official bios....

I'm not trying anything fancy here guys... I just want the damn thing to boot.... at any setting.

BIOS: http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bios..._FLAG=A&SITE=NA

Revision A

Date Code 2004/11/24

File LPNF2UBDB24.zip

Size 319,556 bytes

Description REMARK: Only update for following CPU support. Please keep your BIOS in previous version if system works properly.

1. To also support FSB200 CPU with CPU clock at 100MHz.

2. To enhance the support of AMD 55-Watt Low Power CPU.

Remarks:

1. Please input instrution as:

AWDFLASH N24LDB24.BIN /QI/Sn/Py/CC

if you flash BIOS from version dated 2003/11/27 or older.

2. USB S3 Resume Feature might not alway work in this version of BIOS.

Thx for your help, it's appreciated... I'd gladly try your bios or anything you tell me...

hell, I'll strip naked and dance around it in cirlces chanting ooga-booga if that will make it work :rolleyes:

I disagree with that statement as I have hotflashed on my NF7 using DOS more times then I care to remember.

Well if it won't boot then you haven't read the tutorial and performed exactly what it says to do.

The ISO file is already bootable so just burn the ISO as a image and stick it in the drive.

If you try and burn it as a bootable disk it will NOT work.

Also you are correct in that both the Abit and the DFI use the same bios chips.

Tmod

Wow... just the guy I wanted to talk to...

thx for taking the time and congrats on a great piece of work... sorry I'm just totally confused, new to DFI and I couldn't read 48 pages of your thread although I did use the search function in it many times...

I use nero exclusively and burn ISO images all the time... I guess I didn't read it as close as I should have.... I'll re-read it very carefully and see where I messed up.

as a suggestion, for lost, confused people as myself that are new to DFI, a quick note at the begining or end of the tutorial that it's a boot disk would be very helpful...

when I burne d the iso all I got was a Tmod folder in the root dir of the cd... I burned another with the contents of that folder in the root dir... but that obviously didn't help either.

when I burne d the iso all I got was a Tmod folder in the root dir of the cd

Yep that would be correct then.

But the important part is not burning it as a bootable CD but as a image.

Do not extract the ISO that will not work either.

Tmod

Yep that would be correct then.

But the important part is not burning it as a bootable CD but as a image.

Do not extract the ISO that will not work either.

Tmod

just re-read it... I see you talk about it as a bootable disc, my apolagies...

I loaded the iso to Alc120 then burned disc to disc... that was wrong... (I normally don't do it that way, don't ask me why I did it this time)... now I'm burning from and ISO to disc... like you said...

I didn't know that would make a difference... I'm too familiar with nero.. I have nero 7 now... I just did it the way you said and I'll give it a try and let ya know...

thx again.

OK... burned according to the tutorial...

didn't make a difference.... at first...

changing my bios to boot from CD before the Hdd..wasn't enough... weird... but once I change 1,2 and 3 boot device ALL to cd.. then it worked?

weird.. anyway... the BIOS CD boot disk works now... Thx Tmod!

now I'll hook it to my abit and use it to hot flash deez damn bios chips... and take lordgestles suggestion of reseating my cpu and ram... lets hope that does it...

now I'll hook it to my abit and use it to hot flash deez damn bios chips

Ahhh not so fast there grasshopper.

My CD was not meant to use for hot swapping and does not contain the flash switches to accomplish the task.

You need to use the /F switch when you are hot swapping chips.

Tmod

Man D it reads like you want to purchase some of that "Patience" especialy if you want to run a DFi Sister, LOL ;) LOTS OF PAtience understanding and reading, testing, trying, patience, testing trying, reading, testing, trying. LOL :) and so the story goes.............all good qualities to have when trying anything on a "SiSta"..........When you find what the problem is, AnD if you have the "right" hardware, your SiSta will sit up and "HoWL".........

Theres lots of help here on this forum and there are lots of helpful users as well. I hope you find what your looking for,,,,,,,,,, most that stayed here did ;).......Be coooll dude, be very cool.

Logan out of here......................

Man D it reads like you want to purchase some of that "Patience" especialy if you want to run a DFi Sister, LOL ;) LOTS OF PAtience understanding and reading, testing, trying, patience, testing trying, reading, testing, trying. LOL :) and so the story goes.............all good qualities to have when trying anything on a "SiSta"..........When you find what the problem is, AnD if you have the "right" hardware, your SiSta will sit up and "HoWL".........

Theres lots of help here on this forum and there are lots of helpful users as well. I hope you find what your looking for,,,,,,,,,, most that stayed here did ;).......Be coooll dude, be very cool.

Logan out of here......................

yeah... true...

but there's a lot to be said for "user friendly"

btw.. thanks for all your contributions... I've been using your website ever since before I was teething on my AN7, reading your NF7 guides, L12 mods. etc, etc.. hell I think I learned to hotflash from your site way back when... And yesterday, I found myself back at your site again. http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/dfi_ui___lpb_faq.htm

I'm hoping to get my "SiSta" to quit given me hassel and bicthen at me... a start with some of that howlin' :nod: