Sign in to follow this  
adam.s

Sli-dr + 7800gt Co + Amd X2 3800+

Hey all,

I seem to be at my limit of the x2 3800+ and I'm not getting anywhere close to what others are reporting.

Running the system inside an Antec P180 case with the following specs:

* X2 3800+ currently max OC is 2.3 GHz

* 7800 GT oc'd to 502 MHz core, 1.2 GHz memory

* 2x512 OCZ 2.5x3x3x7 PC3200 DDR

* Antec NeoPower 480 PSU

* WD 160 GB IDE HD

* 4x 120mm case fans, 1 top, 2 back, 1 below compartment for PSU

I've been following the various guides here and I can't seem to get above 230 MHz HTT. Booting into Windows beyond this, I get a BSOD and the computer reboots.

Here are my MBM stats currently running Super PI 32M:

* CPU Temp: 40 C

* NF4 Chipset: 51 C <---- This is the only one I'm concerned about

* PWMIC: 45 C

* GPU: 41 C

* HD: 38 C

* Vcore+VID: 1.36 V

* LDT: 1.17 V

* DRAM: 2.61 V

* Chipset: 1.57 V

Is there something that I'm clearly doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

first thing i would do is get a better psu...that 480 watt antec is like the bare minimum to run the system. Im not even sure if its on the list of supported PSU's.

Anyways i would say get at least an OCZ powerstream 520. Then try OCin again and see if you run into the same problems. Also what are you using the cool the cpu?? if your using stock cooling then you should ditch that for an xp-90 w/ either a panaflo or delta triple blade and you'll get much much better temps which will no doubt help your OC..

kudos...

Odd. I'm running the same CPU and can get it and my corsair memory to around 2.4 with no problems. Dropping the memory down on a divider I can get to 2.7. I'd consider dropping the memory on a divider, but also give serious look at that PSU.

Don't know about that ludeboy12, check out post #76 on the OCDB. Using the Antec NeoPower 480 I was able to get my 3800+ X2 at 2.65 with a 7800GT OC and before that I had a pair of Evga 6600 GT on SLI and stable for more than 10 hrs.

adam.s what excactly is vcore? "Vcore+VID: 1.36 v"? At what percent 1.36 @ 1.40 or is your vcroe at 1.36? If at 1.36, you need to jack it up a bit. Mine is at 1.58 and am stable at 2.65. Just make sure to watch your temps though.

No prob, I loved them so much got two of them NeoPower, even tried them on my Expert and it seems to hold its own, but I may go SLI in the future so I got the sure thing with the PC P&C 510 ASL.

Yeah I'm not sure if power is the issue... the 480 has treated me really well up until this point.

I'm using the Zalman 7700cu on the CPU and it works pretty well.

I actually haven't done anything with the memory yet, as all the memory overclocking kind of bewilders me. That may be my critical error, I suppose.

I have another 7800 GT on the way which should arrive today that I'll be hooking up in SLI, so I may have to cool it on the overclocking. I don't really want to invest in another PSU, so if that means running at stock speeds, then so be it for now.

Actually, upon further reflection I don't mind upgrading the PSU if it means that I can overclock properly. I need one with long enough cables to reach from the bottom of my case (Antec p180), as that's where the PSU is located.

I'm thinking of the Antec TruePower 550, as the Antecs are all for sure compatible w/ the case. Thoughts?

I actually haven't done anything with the memory yet, as all the memory overclocking kind of bewilders me. That may be my critical error, I suppose.

Well that seems to me your problem. your stuck @ 230 and ill bet its because that’s you rams max "f". Good news you dont have to worry about over clocking your memory cuse you wont be :shake: :shake:

Go into your memory config in bios and put on a 9:10 divider. Now your memory will run a little slower to get your proc up to speed. You should get at least 2.5ghz.

:):):)