alt-method for measuring CPU temps

hey, guys! i've been using a dual-core opty 175 in my expert board for almost 2 months now. this board has been rock solid in that time, the only problem is both the BIOS and ITE report my cpu idle temp at 139C. that is not a typo. i've been doing a lot of searching and i can't find anyone else with the same problem. i've tried both official BIOSes released to date, to no avail.

i attribute this to using an unsupported cpu on the board. the board has been so good, i didn't bother with an RMA but i do need a way to accurately read my CPU temps. i know there are diodes you can tape to the side of the heat spreader but how accurate are these? what is the best way for me to keep an eye on temps?

Guest Scarface

well, the only place you'd be able to tape that diode is on the outter vertical edge of the IHS and being there the temps wouldn't be very accurate at all. But on the other hand they would be more accurate than 139c.

Would it be possible that the (1)39c is really 39c? *shrugs*

Would it be possible that the (1)39c is really 39c? *shrugs*
maybe. actually, i think the reading is shown like this in the BIOS:

(-) 139C

and ITE just says 139C. i dunno. *shrugs* i didn't worry about cuz i thought there were other ways- maybe even more accurately- to measure it.

Guest Scarface

there are but it would have to be touching the edge of the naked core.

my guess is the diode taped onto the edge of the IHS would be off like 10c. worth a shot. mine comes in very handy and they're cheap. atm it's stuck on one of the mosfet heatsinks. :-)

CompuNurse is what you should look for.

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Thermal/s...enu_search.html

But anyway - what should be the normal average temp of Venice 3500+ with SI-120???

Cause I've got about 25-29*C with Diode read and in the BIOS, and strangly 70*C with non-Diode readings.

The Cooler is about 30*C - warm, but not hot. But it's a cooler not the core...

false temperature readings are a known issue on the Experts right now, but DFI has yet to address the issue with any type of fix. They ARE working on it, but who knows if/when there will be a fix, and even whether or not a BIOS fix can fix it...

worst case will involve a board recall (RMA), or even worse that that: they give us a big "too bad so sad" response...

alot of us are praying that a BIOS update does the trick, so get out your beads, cross your fingers, or grab your handy DFI engineer voodoo doll...

is the diode flat enough to be safely placed on top of the core, if i removed IHS?
No but it is thin enough to fit NEXT TO the core on a naked chip if you can fit it in there securely without touching anything else (most have a plastic sleeve on them anyway). I'm not sure how accurate the temps will be though. What are you using to cool? If you are on water, as long as your volts aren't crazy high your temps should be fine. Even budget water cooling systems are typically as good as some of the better air coolers and should keep temps below 50c at load.

thanks for the replies but i'm not going to wait for a BIOS update to fix this problem. i've got two things going against me: opterons aren't "officially" supported on this board and my temp problem is different than everyone else's i've read. so i don't think it'd be wise to wait forever for DFI to resolve my opteron-specific problem.

What are you using to cool?

see sig.

again, this is a dual-core chip so i'm still trying to gather ideas regarding the best way to accurately measure CPU temperature besides the motherboard's sensor. scarface is the only one to suggest a feasible solution so far.

hell, could it be a problem with the CPU and not the mobo?