Ocing My Computer.

ne1n

I dont really know how to go about ocing my gpu and cpu. Ive seen people talk about certain programs and such. And I know you can do it through the bios. I would like to start ocing my hardware for maximum performance possible. If anyone could give me advice on programs that I can use to overclock my gpu or cpu please post here. My specs are as follows:

p4 2.8 533FSB

asus p4p800 w/ dual channel ddr400

radeon 9700 pro @ 128mb SDRAM (i beleive its sd ram. not sure. maybe ddr?)

sb audigy 2 plat.

ocz dual channel ddr 1024mb

80GB WD HDD

antec 480 psu

all aluminum xaser III case (10 fans all together including HS and PSU fans)

To O/C your CPU it's best to go with the BIOS I'm not a pro on Intel boards but I'm sure the P4P800 will sport sufficient O/Cing option for your desire and beyond :D

As for the GPU I use the Omega drivers, it as an O/Cing utility included. You can choose to install the hacked drivers or the normal ones, the hacked will give you better image quality but will degrade performance a bit

You can find them here

For O/Cing your processor go into BIOS (make sure you have adequate cooling and air flow before O/Cing) as for the GPU I would suggest Powerstrip or as some other people would suggest the Omega driver't utility (I have never used the omega drivers so Im not sure what type of results you may get)

whats the difference between the hacked driver and the normal. why is it called hacked? and ive seen some screenshots in this forum and people monitoring their cpu and such. do they use that to OC too?

edit: i installed the program with hacked driversd. but i dont see any place for me to change my core speed of my video card or anything. just a bunch of testing stuff. where do i change my core speed to oc?

Edited by ne1n

If u used the omega drivers right click on the ati symbol at the bottom of ur screen. Then click on settings, ati display settings, now there should be a tab saying clock rate click on it. U have to check enable clock rate change and u can overclock it using the slider bars.

ok i oced my cpu from 2.8 to 3.0 and my gpu from core speed of 311 to 391 and my memory from 305 to 337. Is this a good oc or not. I'd appreciate some advice on possibly ocing some more. Also does this mean my video card is running @ 391mhz and my memory is 337SDRAM?

edit: also one of my friends told me if i overclock my stuff. its gonna break down faster. is this true. because it sounds kind of retarded.

Edited by ne1n

Yes and no. If u oc ur stuff to high it will burn it out rather quickly but there a signs of that. Freezing, restarts, dead pixles, and others are a bad sign. The one thing that will make ur stuff last longer is keeping it cool. So do u know what ur temps are?