What does your DFI board report for CPU temps?

palehorse

347 members have voted

1. 1.

• I believe that the reported CPU temperatures are accurate
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by less than -10C
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by -10C to -20C
    • I believe that my CPU temps are all over the place and have no idea how far they are off!
    • I have no idea.

Just some clarification - I wasn't trying to imply that CBID was accurate. Rather, I was just searching for something, anything, that could be useful in our quest for accurate temps. Looks like it was a dead-end.

Once again, never ever to rely on your mobos readings. The only failsafe way to measure temps on just about any motherboard is to use a probe. Take your max CPU temp, add another 10c to be on the safe side and there ya go. That's the end of that quest for me. Cuz I am sure not gonna hold my breath for a fix for an issue that hasn't even been verified. We are making some excellent theories here but a the same time it's a known issue on just about any board, that's about what it boils down to. (hope that didn't come out wrong ;) )

Bottom line is this: Until the temperature issues are resolved, enthusiasts should NOT choose DFI as their board of choice when overclocking.

But it IS the bect board for overclocking. Just as a Ferrari w/out a gasgauge would still be the fastest car. You just can't rely on the temps, as with most any other mobo. That makes it somewhat less attractive yes, but still very attractive.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, never ever to rely on your mobos readings. The only failsafe way to measure temps on just about any motherboard is to use a probe. Take your max CPU temp, add another 10c to be on the safe side and there ya go. That's the end of that quest for me. Cuz I am sure not gonna hold my breath for a fix for an issue that hasn't even been verified. We are making some excellent theories here but a the same time it's a known issue on just about any board, that's about what it boils down to. (hope that didn't come out wrong ;) )

But it IS the bect board for overclocking. Just as a Ferrari w/out a gasgauge would still be the fastest car. You just can't rely on the temps, as with most any other mobo. That makes it somewhat less attractive yes, but still very attractive.

most people assume that temps are off by +/- 5C, but in this case we have a board reporting temps off by as much as 15-20C (like mine!). I have always accepted the slightly off readings on $100 motherboards, but as far as I'm concerned, there is no excuse for temps to be off by as much as 15-20C on a $200 motherboard. I wont let this get brushed under the rug without DFI either a)fixing it, or B) offering me an exchange for a board that works. (as in, they send me the new one, i test it, THEN return the broken one).

I'll gladly try one of their new Venus boards as a reasonable replacement IF it works, and I'd also personally promote it everywhere IF it works! (lol!)

But until this is resolved, I cant let it go. :)

Hate to sound like the devils advocate, but whats to say the readings are wrong? Has anyone actually tested the sensor? Location must play a heavy part in the reading.

math and science show mine to be off by atleast 15C. check back through this thread, and you'll see that the temps mine shows would indicate a thermal resistance factor of ~0.07 c/w. That would be great if it were even possible on air cooling alone, but it's not. Half of the expert boards in this thread are showing temps off by 10-20C given their cooling methods and reported temps.

This problem appears to effect atleast 25% (upwards of 50% possible) of the Expert motherboards; and the problem does not appear to be specific to any motherboard revision, or the type of CPU used.

The reps from DFI here on the Street have acknowledged the issue and they are currently working on a fix (according to Bulldog), but there hasn't yet been any official response or announcement.

Something official would be nice though... :rolleyes:

math and science show mine to be off by atleast 15C. check back through this thread, and you'll see that the temps mine shows would indicate a thermal resistance factor of ~0.07 c/w. That would be great if it were even possible on air cooling alone, but it's not. Half of the expert boards in this thread are showing temps off by 10-20C given their cooling methods and reported temps.

Math and science indicate the reading being given isnt the actual temperature of the surface of the CPU core. It does NOT show the sensor is wrong. My simple point - if the sensor isnt directly between the CPU and heatsink, how can you expect a sensor to correctly report that temperature? Essentially, you're asking it to guess, and you've already done the math to eliminate the guess work...

Hate to sound like the devils advocate, but whats to say the readings are wrong? Has anyone actually tested the sensor? Location must play a heavy part in the reading.

Well, there are some pretty good indicators that the temps are, in fact off. By what margin is hard to say at this point, and it does look like the issue, if you can indeed call it that at this point, does not occur on every board. I was successfully able to verify that my temps are correct, but others here have some pretty darn good evidence that their temps are way off. My personal opinion at this point, is that the issue needs to be verified by more data - as palehorse is trying to do. On the other hand you can't have a true academic approach at something if you are biased to begin with with aka trying to prove your point. There may be an issue, there may be not. The fact that this thread exists, is an indication there might well be one, but how big an issue it really is remains to be seen.

I remember a similar thread on my old nForce 2 mobo in a different forum two years ago - turned out that Gigabyte actually added ~7c - 9c to the readings in the BIOS, so that 'users would not fry their CPU when oc'ing.' - or so the official statement from Gigabyte after many months of guesswork. Wise or not on Gigabyte's behalf is open for debate. As bad as it was for OC Pro's, it probably saved a good many n00bs from frying their CPU. And just have a look at some of the threads in this forum - all I'm gonna say is, a license ought to be recquired to buy this board. ;) (uhm, and yes that was a joke)

The reps from DFI here on the Street have acknowledged the issue and they are currently working on a fix (according to Bulldog), but there hasn't yet been any official response or announcement.

Something official would be nice though... :rolleyes:

*whistle* Didn't know that! That does change a few things then. did I miss that part of the thread?? *scratches head*

*whistle* Didn't know that! That does change a few things then. did I miss that part of the thread?? *scratches head*

ya, check it out here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...78&postcount=14

We're still waiting for word that the engineers have gotten past their New Years hangovers and decided to look into the issue this week. That post was made by Bulldog on 2/2/06, so it should be fresh on his mind as we speak! lol...

You got that...out of this?

In any event the matter with the inaccurate CPU temp readings on the Expert board is currently being looked into.

He simply states they are going to look into in further, so you claim they have acknowledged the issue and are creating a fix? :confused: This is so FUD'ish my own eyes are rolling....

He simply states they are going to look into in further, so you claim they have acknowledged the issue and are creating a fix? :confused: This is so FUD'ish my own eyes are rolling....

one can hope, cant he? there was also a very lengthy discussion and even more data in this thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...light=cpu+temps

here are some excerpts from Bulldog in those threads:

• "Just so everyone involved in this discussion can sleep at night I have had some reports of low CPU temp readings from various users here in Europe as well, which lends credibility to this discussion. I couldn't reproduce these funky temp readings myself with my San Diego 4000+ or Venice 3000+. I have however taken the claims seriously and am currently discussing the matter with my contacts at DFI HQ to see if we can pin the problem. It's difficult to get a concensus on this as it seems random. However if you guys can can report the "ADA..." codes imprinted on the surface of your CPUs it would help alot. I will check back in a few days and gather the reported codes and see if we can get a pattern out of this."

• "Ok thanxs for those codes. I will discuss this matter with my fellow techs in Taiwan and see if we can get this nailed down."

• "In any event the matter with the inaccurate CPU temp readings on the Expert board is currently being looked into. The problem is that it is the Chinese New Year vacation in Taiwan so the headquarters is closed this week. When the engineers return next week I will chase them on this matter further."

I made this thread and poll in response to his and the engineers' need for more accurate data; so that one day, god willing, we may see this fixed.

So like I said, they ARE aware of the issue and have been looking into it with the intent of fixing it. There hasnt been anything "official" stated or announced, but that would be nice.

Thus, "FUD" or not, I'm doing my best to ensure the issue is not brushed aside. So what was your point again?

So what was your point again?

That if the sensor isn't where you want it (which it right between the heatsink and cpu, it sounds like), it's not going to give you the temperature you want. Period. DFI could just adjust the calibration and have it make a guess, or you can do the math and science yourself (as you have done) and figure it out, or use an external sensor placed in the exact location of your desire.

You make the argument in this thread that you are essentially trying to show DFI users how silly they are for believing the temperatures reported to them by software monitoring:

like i said above, the poll is intended to demonstrate the general level of awareness amongst the owners of DFI boards. It's not scientific by any means;but, when you compare the responses with actual data that the voters submit in the thread, you can see that most do not have any idea what their actual temps are, or even what they should be.

If I want to know the temperature of where I'm at, I can look on the news and find out for somewhere pretty close. Or I can get out a thermometer and find out exactly. IE, the sensor may not be reporting the wrong temperature, it's just not located at the exact specific point you want it to be. True, some users have reported extreme outliers (100+ and negative numbers), and those are probably actual failures. Or unsupported CPU's playing havok with something.

Please consider all of this as constructive discussion. Good luck...

I made this thread and poll in response to his and the engineers' need for more accurate data; so that one day, god willing, we may see this fixed.

So like I said, they ARE aware of the issue and have been looking into it with the intent of fixing it. There hasnt been anything "official" stated or announced, but that would be nice.

Thus, "FUD" or not, I'm doing my best to ensure the issue is not brushed aside...

I'm glad that others here are interested in getting a response to this problem as well as the possible "cold boot" issue. I see these two issues as the only two real issues I have heard about in relation to the Expert board... everything else seems to be related to some other component in specific builds. While both issues are minor and not affecting a vast majority of this board's users, I would still like to see what's going to happen before I finish my build and buy this board. These issues being resolved are not the most important things I'm waiting on (I'm also waiting to see how much further processors can drop in price), but they do play a part.