What does your DFI board report for CPU temps?

palehorse

347 members have voted

1. 1.

• I believe that the reported CPU temperatures are accurate
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by less than -10C
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by -10C to -20C
    • I believe that my CPU temps are all over the place and have no idea how far they are off!
    • I have no idea.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't say much...

I've got 21*C with non-diode readings and thermal offset is 8*C.

If I'd do 21-8 => 13*C ??? Stupid.

With diode reading wich is no matter what 69/70*C. Then it'd be 70-8 => 62 - don't believe :) My GPU is hotter than CPU and the GPU is 64max (what I can feel...)

It doesn't say much...

I've got 21*C with non-diode readings and thermal offset is 8*C.

If I'd do 21-8 => 13*C ??? Stupid.

With diode reading wich is no matter what 69/70*C. Then it'd be 70-8 => 62 - don't believe :) My GPU is hotter than CPU and the GPU is 64max (what I can feel...)

I don't have the time now, but I think you should read the information one more time. I believe you missunderstood some parts of it. CBiD does also give you CPU demperature on another page.

I don't have the time now, but I think you should read the information one more time. I believe you missunderstood some parts of it. CBiD does also give you CPU demperature on another page.

Which is also wrong. It shows 34*C and that's what I believe the PWMIC temperature showned by MBM5. Also counting 34-8 => 22*C (the thermal offset is 8) is stupid. Cause 22*C are impossible. And that would be the temperature that DIODE shows for CPU in MBM5 => but it's about 15*C too low.

When I change sensor from non-DIODE to DIODE in MBM5 => the MBM5 shows (-)33 - (-)86*C and CBid shows 168*C - totally false temps at all.

Which is also wrong. It shows 34*C and that's what I believe the PWMIC temperature showned by MBM5. Also counting 34-8 => 22*C (the thermal offset is 8) is stupid. Cause 22*C are impossible. And that would be the temperature that DIODE shows for CPU in MBM5 => but it's about 15*C too low.

When I change sensor from non-DIODE to DIODE in MBM5 => the MBM5 shows (-)33 - (-)86*C and CBid shows 168*C - totally false temps at all.

all of those wacky temps and readings are nearly identical on mine. It sounds like you have the sister of my baord! lol

I've decided to just add 15C to everything and pray that it's close enough... until they fix this problem anyway. I'm getting very close to the point where I may initiate an RMA, but that's bunk too because I cant afford to be without this system for more than a day or so. (work).

@BULLDOG> Any news from the engineers? They've had plenty of time to let their new years hangovers wear off..lol !

@palehorse: That's why I have 2 rigs. One for hobby (oc'ing, gaming and such) and another one to be able to work with. It only makes sense to not tweak away on the machine you need to rely on. Just a general thought, sorry if it's not on topic... (and I don't mean to sound critical).

It seems many if not most boards are off in their temp readings to begin with. I can't remember the link but Antec had a short article a while back on the subject, titles 'Why not to rely on your motherboards temperature readins' (or something similar). The only safe way to determine tmeps (and voltages for that matter!) is to use a probe and/or voltage meter.

It does make sense tho, that if DFI sells the supposed Ferrari of motherboards, that they would make sure such common issues are taken care of on their board. There's more to it than having a powerful engine - like Mercedes makes sure they get all their details correct, that distinguish them from the mainstream cars.

@palehorse: That's why I have 2 rigs. One for hobby (oc'ing, gaming and such) and another one to be able to work with. It only makes sense to not tweak away on the machine you need to rely on. Just a general thought, sorry if it's not on topic... (and I don't mean to sound critical).

It seems many if not most boards are off in their temp readings to begin with. I can't remember the link but Antec had a short article a while back on the subject, titles 'Why not to rely on your motherboards temperature readins' (or something similar). The only safe way to determine tmeps (and voltages for that matter!) is to use a probe and/or voltage meter.

It does make sense tho, that if DFI sells the supposed Ferrari of motherboards, that they would make sure such common issues are taken care of on their board. There's more to it than having a powerful engine - like Mercedes makes sure they get all their details correct, that distinguish them from the mainstream cars.

well put! that said, i actually have 4 systems up at the moment, and could use any of them to do my work, but it would just be a serious inconveinence.

The biggest problem I would have would be missing the BF2 league matches I have every week! And with the playoffs coming up in two leagues next week, that's just not an option...LOL!

And yes, regarding the temperature readings, my biggest contention all along was that these boards were supposed to be THE "best motherboards for overclocking," and this just seems like a very ridiculous problem when that is your marketing niche. After all, temperatures are one of the key factors in OCing!

My analogy: It's like selling a Ferrari without a gas-guage. "uhh, ya, just go back to your gastank with a dipstick if you absolutely must know how much is left! Oh, and by the way, GL trying to get to the tank with a stick because we've hidden it under a bunch of other metal!"

lol.. oh well.

Just some clarification - I wasn't trying to imply that CBID was accurate. Rather, I was just searching for something, anything, that could be useful in our quest for accurate temps. Looks like it was a dead-end. ;)

Since we're playing the PC/Car analogy, I'd compare this problem with having an inaccurate speedometer. You can kinda-sorta gauge your speed by the other motorist, but you're always going to cringe when you fly by that cop.

Bottom line is this: Until the temperature issues are resolved, enthusiasts should NOT choose DFI as their board of choice when overclocking.

Chum