What does your DFI board report for CPU temps?

palehorse

347 members have voted

1. 1.

• I believe that the reported CPU temperatures are accurate
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by less than -10C
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by -10C to -20C
    • I believe that my CPU temps are all over the place and have no idea how far they are off!
    • I have no idea.

Yeh well thats the only reason I havent RMA'd mine because I bet they all do the same thing. My CPU is one of the supported CPU's so using the opteron excuse dont cut it.

Yeh we can all do the math but seriously wouldnt you prefer a working sensor on the most expensive mobo they have???

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since moving from my Abit IC7 / P4 3.0 Northy to my new DFI Expert / Opty 170, I wasn’t really surprised about how inaccurate s/w temp readings are for CPUs. There have been a couple of threads on this board re: how the Expert underestimates temp, whereas it is common knowledge that the IC7 overestimates temp (reference http://www.bleedinedge.com/reviews/abit_as...s_temps_02.html).

While I wasn’t as diligent as the Bleeding Edge folks in testing (e.g., embedding thermal probes in heatsinks), I believe I have an accurate estimate on how much the Expert underestimates CPU temp.

And by temp, I mean load temp. Load temps apply to everything below.

The answer? Roughly 12C.

The ironic thing is that the IC7 overestimates roughly equal to how much the Expert underestimates: 12C.

How did I calculate this? By keeping variables constant between systems:

• Ambient temp (19C)

• Software monitoring tool (Speedfan)

• Case temp (28C)

• Koolance w/c, same block, same thermal probe location under the block…this is what kicked me off on this effort, the major constant.

Both systems registered 29C at load in the Koolance display, but Speedfan registered IC7 at 50C and Expert at 28C. All other factors constant, if we know that IC7 overestimates by an average of 12C, then we can reasonably conclude that Expert underestimates by 12C.

BTW, Expert bios used for testing is 2005/12/07.

Conclusion: Until more rigorous testing is conducted, or a bios fix is provided (or even possible), Expert users w/ an Opty (170) should add 12C to their load temp to gain a more accurate view of real CPU temp.

WildstarOCT

I've said this already but I'll say it again. these mobo's weren't designed for the opteron proc's.

The temp-reading issue has nothing to do with Opterons specifically. That has been proven. So since you've said it twice, you've been wrong twice.

Both systems registered 29C at load in the Koolance display, but Speedfan registered IC7 at 50C and Expert at 28C. All other factors constant, if we know that IC7 overestimates by an average of 12C, then we can reasonably conclude that Expert underestimates by 12C.

forgive me if I'm wrong here, but wouldnt it be 10C?

IC7 - AverageOver = 50-12 = 38

38-Expert = 10

how exactly did you compute this and get 12C for the Expert?

Also, while I more than anyone truly appreciate your efforts, we would need to test alot more systems to get an accurate delta, if one could even be had. The problem is that the Expert boards have been seen to be off a much as 20C+, while other Expert boards are only off by 2-3C ! I have an Opteron 170 as well, and using the thermal resistance formula, I came up with a delta of ~14C for mine @ 2650 overclock, and ~16C @ 2750...

The bottom line is that something is broken on SOME of the Expert boards out there, and I'm not really sure that a Bios update will be able to fix it...

Motherboard: Lanparty NF4

Mobo Revision: LP UT Ultra-D

Mobo BIOS version: Newest Official 6/23

CPU: AMD Opteron 165 Dual Core

CPU ID: ???????????

Idle Temp: 28C

Load Temp: 35C - 36C

Cooling: AIR (SI-120)

Ok let me first start off by saying I am in love with my system in my specs!!! Heres what I have done so far:

Memtest 1.55 (Bios Version):

Full Test: 12 Passes

Test 5: 25 Passes

Test 8: 25 Passes

Conclusion: No errors!!

Prime95: 8 hours on both cores.... NO ERRORS!!

Temperature idle: 28C

Temperature 100% CPU Stress on both cores (Prime95): 35 - 36C

Temperatures Reported by Speedfan

Also to note everything is running STOCK from the memory to the CPU

Also this is on Windows 2003 Server x64 edition.

How does this sound? Pretty good to yall?

Motherboard: Lanparty NF4

Mobo Revision: LP UT Ultra-D

Mobo BIOS version: Newest Official 6/23

CPU: AMD Opteron 165 Dual Core

CPU ID: ???????????

Idle Temp: 28C

Load Temp: 35C - 36C

Cooling: AIR (SI-120)

Ok let me first start off by saying I am in love with my system in my specs!!! Heres what I have done so far:

Memtest 1.55 (Bios Version):

Full Test: 12 Passes

Test 5: 25 Passes

Test 8: 25 Passes

Conclusion: No errors!!

Prime95: 8 hours on both cores.... NO ERRORS!!

Temperature idle: 28C

Temperature 100% CPU Stress on both cores (Prime95): 35 - 36C

Temperatures Reported by Speedfan

Also to note everything is running STOCK from the memory to the CPU

Also this is on Windows 2003 Server x64 edition.

How does this sound? Pretty good to yall?

All of that looks damn good for stock! Your temps are probably within the normal ranges that all mobos get (+/- 4C), so the good news is that you can plan to OC much safer, and your board doesnt suffer from the sensor bugs!

When all is said and done, please post your OC results in the OC forum here, and GL!

Thanks for the data!

I add 10c to my temp to compensate for the Experts inability to report temps correctly. I have based this on the temps from this chip in other boards. I think this is about the norm for this board...but a BIOS update would be nice.

It is well known that the Expert reports temps incorrectly...but most processors have "established operating temps" validated from all the other users with simular hardware. I knew of the temp problem before I bought this board (didn't realize it was 10+ off though) but I can add, and when I'm done with the math the benefits of the board more then offset the problem with the temps. I just add 10-15c to my temps and run with it. With this I can say that my X2 3800 @ 2.6 with 1.42 vcore should run around 48-52c loaded with my 120-si...and the board reports 38c.

It's a pain but I deal with it...I wouldn't think of RMA'ing for another board when the fix is a future BIOS update.

Rgone, Bulldog, AG> any chance that you can pass on the data collected here in this thread to the engineers? Have they atleast been made aware of the data? Is there anything missing from the data fields that may help them?

Please do not respond with "Email them yourself."

thanks ahead of time!

Well I would think my temps would lie but then idle temps at 27-30 degrees I can buy actually...

So I would assume they are pretty much accurate if running an Opteron 170 at 1,55 Vcore at 2,8 gig at 43 degrees load running prime95 is possible?

Have a stacker and 3 120 mm in line. I would think that does a pretty damn good job exhausting all hot air because the top 80 mm fan. The air that comes out from that is room temperature it feels like just crazy... Starting to think I should maybe use that as intake if that would help supply my PSU with cooler air but then I don´t think it would make much of a difference.