What does your DFI board report for CPU temps?

palehorse

347 members have voted

1. 1.

• I believe that the reported CPU temperatures are accurate
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by less than -10C
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by -10C to -20C
    • I believe that my CPU temps are all over the place and have no idea how far they are off!
    • I have no idea.

Guest Scarface

What choice did you make in the poll above? I believe mine is accurate.

(confirmed with thermal probe placed on edge of naked core)

Motherboard: SLI-DR Expert

Mobo Revision: AB-0

Mobo BIOS version: ?? (shipped bios)

CPU: X2 4400 @ 2.6Ghz 1.55v

CPU ID: ??

Idle Temp: 30C

Load Temp: 39C

Cooling: Water

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got A64 3500+ and ThermalRight SI-120 with AKASA Amber 120mm onboard. The BIOS says CPU temp is about 25-29*C and same says MBM5 with Diode read. But when I change to non-Diode read it shows constantly 69-70*C.

Strange things about other temps. PWMIC with non-Diode is about 33-40max and with Diode it's -33 or -66 :tooth: . Chipset round non-Diode 42-45*C and with Diode it starts with 33*C and the goes to 44-48*C - which one to believe here more???

So I really don't know how to be sure that those temps are even close to the Real One.

About the CPU - the Radiator is warm (233x10x1.4V by SmartGuardian). Normal thermometer says it's about 36-37*C so that menas CPU is few degrees hotter - about 42-45??? And that means that Diode readings are 20*C lower than real, and that non-Diode are totally junky :drool:

What choice did you make in the poll above? i hope it's right on the money. bc it seems right

Motherboard: nf4-d

Mobo Revision: ???

Mobo BIOS version: stock (should probaby figure out)

CPU: Opteron 144 CAB2E

CPU ID:um...dont have my numbers on hand

Idle Temp: 25C/32C

Load Temp: 38C/40C

Cooling: AMD stock (second temps are OC'd at 2.7ghz)

1. 4400+ on Expert

What choice did you make in the poll above? off by less than 10°

Motherboard: sli-dr expert

Mobo BIOS version: 12/07/05

CPU: X2 4400+ @ 275x10 (2.75Ghz) - 1.54V

CPU ID: not at hand (rev. E6)

Idle Temp: 27°C

Load Temp: 43°C

Cooling: water (Alphacool NexXxos Xp)

2. Opteron on Expert

What choice did you make in the poll above? off by less than 10°C

Motherboard: sli-dr expert

Mobo BIOS version: 12/07/05

CPU: Opteron 148 @ 317x9 (2.85Ghz) - 1.48V

CPU ID: CACJE 0554

Idle Temp: 25°C

Load Temp: 40°C

3. 4400+ on Ultra-D

What choice did you make in the poll above? about accurate

Motherboard: nF4 Ultra-D

Mobo Revision: A01

Mobo BIOS version: 11/14/05

CPU: X2 4400+ @ 275x10 (2.75Ghz) - 1.54V

CPU ID: not at hand (rev. E6)

Idle Temp: 33°C

Load Temp: 48°C

Extra info :

- All these are full load (for 4400+ on both cores) after at least 2 days (folding@home 100%)

- case temps after 2 days are approximately 30°C, water temperature 31-32°C (reservoir is in my case)

- temperatures seem more accurate to me for (single core) opteron vs dual core Athlon

What choice did you make in the poll above? I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by less than -10C

Motherboard: LP NF4 Ultra-D

Mobo Revision: A3

Mobo BIOS version: 623-2

CPU: 3200+ Venice [E6] ADA3200DAA4BW

CPU ID: ?

Idle Temp: 33

Load Temp: 46 (OC 250x10 when running OCCT)

Cooling: Air [constantly half speed]

Avg. Ambient Temp: 23

Even though I stated it as "off by less than -10C", I don't think it's a question of more than maximum -5C.

Motherboard: NF4 Ultra-D SLI

Mobo Revision:A3

Mobo BIOS version: 6/23

CPU: Opteron 146@ 2.1

CPU ID: ???

Idle Temp: 25C

Load Temp: 34C

Cooling: xp-90

I hate to burst your bubble, but you, and unfortunately alot of others as well, are probably not getting anything close to 27C/34C as real temperatures with just air cooling. (you might be, but it's not very likely. I'd say a 1% chance).

It appears that ALOT of people are under the impression that air cooling solutions are capable of cooling below most water-rig levels... In actuality, unless you live in a refrigerator, or the arctic, there is just no way your temps could be that low on just air.

On average, an air-cooling solution will give you idle temps of 35-40C and load temps of 45-50C, depending of course on your ambient temps and your CPU type. Anything reported as less should be considered very suspect, and anything more might indicate a poor HSF installation.

So anyone who thinks their air-cooling solution is uber in giving them sub-30C temps is probably in for a rude awakening.

This comes down to the issue of awareness. Motherboard and CPU manufacturers need to start educating users on this issue as overclocking becomes more prevelant, and they also need to come up with a much more accurate way to read and report actual temperatures.

That is one of the purposes of this thread and poll. The poll shows us that several users here believe their air-cooling solutions are accurate in reporting 25-29C idle temps, and temps much lower than 40C load! That's just not likely, and they, and DFI, need to be made aware of this fact.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you, and unfortunately alot of others as well, are probably not getting anything close to 27C/34C as real temperatures with just air cooling. (you might be, but it's not very likely. I'd say a 1% chance).

It appears that ALOT of people are under the impression that air cooling solutions are capable of cooling below most water-rig levels... In actuality, unless you live in a refrigerator, or the arctic, there is just no way your temps could be that low on just air.

On average, an air-cooling solution will give you idle temps of 35-40C and load temps of 45-50C, depending of course on your ambient temps and your CPU type. Anything reported as less should be considered very suspect, and anything more might indicate a poor HSF installation.

So anyone who thinks their air-cooling solution is uber in giving them sub-30C temps is probably in for a rude awakening.

This comes down to the issue of awareness. Motherboard and CPU manufacturers need to start educating users on this issue as overclocking becomes more prevelant, and they also need to come up with a much more accurate way to read and report actual temperatures.

That is one of the purposes of this thread and poll. The poll shows us that several users here believe their air-cooling solutions are accurate in reporting 25-29C idle temps, and temps much lower than 40C load! That's just not likely, and they, and DFI, need to be made aware of this fact.

Very nicely put : spot on !

It does make the poll rather useless in my opinion, because it is the result of a mix of people thinking their cooling acts like a vapo, and others who are more aware of "normal" temperatures.

Very nicely put : spot on !

It does make the poll rather useless in my opinion, because it is the result of a mix of people thinking their cooling acts like a vapo, and others who are more aware of "normal" temperatures.

thanks man! im just tryin to keep this issue spotlighted and get a fix. at the same time, im also trying to make more people aware of the situation and the abundance of misunderstanding.

I dont think that the poll is useless because the main purpose of the poll is to show exactly what you wrote there.

purpose:

The poll (when cross-referenced with the data in the thread) is a measure of the level of awareness and understanding; or a lackthereof.

The thread is an attempt to collect data for the engineers working on the problem in Taiwan or wherever.

Together each element lends itself as reference material for DFI's folks who are hopefully studying their customerbase and reacting accordingly.